5 Fun Facts About ‘The Voice’ Coaches
First Published: April 9, 2012 7:27 PM EDT Credit: NBC
LOS ANGELES, Calif. -- The coaches on the NBC hit “The Voice” come with a strong pedigree. They’ve each had a host of hits on the airwaves, been honored with Grammy nominations, and sold millions of records worldwide. As the NBC reality singing competition hits its stride with the continuation of the live shows, Access Hollywood has noticed several things about these music heavyweights. Adam Levine frequently uses tough love as a coaching tactics while Cee Lo Green is very fond of wigs. Christina Aguilera is surprisingly motherly (she raised an eyebrow over the hip grinding from 17-year-old RaeLynn), and Blake Shelton is a bit of a hard nose when it comes to keeping the show a singing (not hip-hop) competition.
Based on these new findings, it dawned on us that we still have a lot to learn about the coaches. Adam, Cee Lo, Christina, and Blake may be superstars now, but fans of the show might be surprised to learn that – at age 8 – one of the coaches strutted his stuff in a beauty pageant. Another coach once donned a uniform to serve milkshakes and burgers at a greasy spoon.
To find out who did what, check out AccessHollywood.com’s 5 Fun Facts About Your Favorite “Voice” Coach.
1. Do you want fries with that shake? Before hitting it big, Adam waited tables at Johnny Rockets.
2. Ambidextrous? Adam writes left-handed, but plays the guitar right-handed.
3. As a teen, Adam was diagnosed with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder.
4. Adam once worked as a writer’s assistant on the CBS show “Judging Amy.”
5. Brains and Brawn! Adam admitted to Access Hollywood in 2004 his favorite spot on the TV dial is the Discovery Channel.
Cee Lo Green
1. What’s in a name? Thomas DeCarlo Callaway is his real name.
2. Cee Lo loves firefighters. The Grammy-winning song, “Forget You,” was turned into “Thank You” in order to reflect his personal appreciation for firefighters.
3. Thou shall prosper. Both of Cee Lo’s parents were ordained ministers.
4. He is the youngest member of the Atlanta hip-hop group Goodie Mob.
5. Birds of a feather flock together: Cee Lo was childhood friends with Andre 3000 of OutKast.
1. She’s just like us! As a teen, Christina admitted to Access Hollywood that she loved shopping at stores like Contempo and Rampage.
2. Christina did not start formal vocal training until she was about 18 years old.
3. An artist and a humanitarian, Christina is an ambassador to the World Food Program.
4. Christina’s mom, Shelly, is her biggest fan, literally. Shelly was once the president of her daughter’s fan club.
5. By her 19th birthday, Christina still did not have a driver’s license.
1. Pre -“Toddlers & Tiaras”: At the age of 8, Shelton competed in a beauty pageant where he sang as his talent.
2. His favorite show is “The Golden Girls.”
3. More than just a great singer and coach, he’s handy too. Blake used to work roofing houses.
4. This isn’t Blake’s first stint as a judge for a singing competition. Blake appeared as a judge on USA Network’s “Nashville Star.”
5. The bare essentials? Blake’s three must haves are music, air, and alcohol, according to USA Network, which did a character profile on the singer during his time on “Nashville Star.”
-- Josanta Gray
Copyright 2013 by NBC Universal, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.