Access’ Top 10 Reality Romances Gone Right
First Published: August 6, 2009 12:49 PM EDT Credit: Getty Images
LOS ANGELES, Calif. -- Reality love has seen its fair share of ups and downs! It takes a strong love to survive the trials and tribulations of the small screen, and while many have failed, some have come out romantically victorious!
Access already shared our Top 10 reality romances that fell victim to the curse, and now we present our Top 10 ‘real’ couples who managed to turn their reality love into lifelong bliss!
Join us on a stroll down the reality romance aisle…
10. Matt Hoover and Suzy Preston – The former “Biggest Loser” contestants may have lost the weight, but they found each other! Matt started the show as a 29-year-old wrestling coach, weighing in at 339 pounds, and went on to lose 157 pounds. Suzy began the competition at 227 pounds and went on to lose 95 pounds. Matt then won the weight loss competition. The couple dated secretly during the filming of the show, but didn’t have their first official date until after the show’s finale. In 2006 Matt popped the question to his “Loser” lover live on the “Today” show. The two are still happily married and welcomed their second son last September. These two former “Losers” certainly came out victorious!
9. Matt and Amy Roloff - These little people have nothing but big love for each other. Stars of the hit TLC series “Little People, Big World” Matt and Amy Roloff have shown that any obstacle can be overcome with a little love and determination. A “Little People of America” convention brought them together as a couple in 1987 and they fell in love quickly, marrying the same year. The cute couple is not the sole focus of the show though, which chronicles Roloff daily life, including that of their four kids - Zach, Jeremy, Molly and Jacob. This “little” love has faced big hurdles, but we know they’re destined to make it big in the end.
8. Pam Ling and Judd Winick – “The Real World” has a special way of creating drama, but it’s also responsible for creating love. These two strangers picked to live in house, left the show as friends, and ended up falling in love after filming wrapped. Pam and Judd starred in season 3 of “The Real World: San Francisco.” The two roommates, Pam a med student and Judd a cartoonist, become good friends while in San Fran, but the romance never flourished because of Pam’s at-the-time long distance relationship and Judd’s constant search for true love. After the show ended, the two began dating and finally tied the knot in 2001. Four years later they welcomed a son. Pam is currently a professor at UC San Francisco, and Judd is an accomplished writer and comic-book artist. “The Real World” created some real love!
7. Karina Smirnoff and Maksim Chmerkovskiy – This gorgeous couple will be “dancing” their way down the aisle very soon! The “Dancing With the Stars” pros first met years before the show as competitive ballroom dancers. After less than six months of dating, Maksim popped the question to his Ukrainian leading lady on New Years Eve in 2008. Before they began dating, Karina had dated former “dancing” partner Mario Lopez for 2 years. That couple split due to reported infidelity on his part. No wedding date has been set yet for Karina and Maksim, but we think their steps will remain in sync.
6. Rob Mariano and Amber Brkich – This all-star couple survived the forces of nature and also managed to get hitched along the way. The couple first met during “Survivor: All-Stars.” Although they were competing against each other, it didn’t stop them from falling for each other while stranded in the Pearl Islands of Panama. During the live season finale, Rob popped the question to his “Survivor” sweetheart and she accepted. Amber went to become the “All-Star” survivor, but the real victory was finding true love. Rob and Amber went on to compete in season 7 of “The Amazing Race” where they finished as runners-up. In 2005, the couple walked down the aisle in a private ceremony at Atlantis Paradise Island. CBS documented their journey to martial bliss in a 2-hour special. In 2007, they made their return to the small screen by participating in “The Amazing Race: All-Stars” where they finished in 8th place. The couple is still married and just recently welcomed a baby girl. We have no doubts that this amazing couple will survive!
5. Adrianne Curry and Chris Knight – Here’s a story, of a man named Brady, and his lovely lady! This duo is living proof that in May-December Hollywood, age isn’t an issue. The former “Brady Bunch” star and the “America’s Next Top Model” contestant met during “The Surreal Life 4” in 2005 on VH1. The unlikely pair surprised audiences when the sexy youngster started to romance the “Brady” babe. Chris was reluctant to pursue the young model, but finally gave in. The two started dating after the end of “The Surreal Life,” and quickly shacked up. VH1 took advantage of the unconventional pair and signed them on for “My Fair Brady,” which followed the pair through their passionate spats and dramatic love. Chris popped the question during the season finale, and they took the plunge into marital bliss in 2006. The two are still hitched, and are hoping for a baby to complete their “Brady Bunch.”
4. Tori Spelling and Dean McDermott – We have been ‘Spell’-bound by this down-home duo from the start! The “90210” alum and the Canadian cutie met in 2005 on the set of their TV movie, “Mind Over Murder.” At that time, both parties were married to someone else, but both claim that their divorces had nothing to do with their relationship. In 2005, Dean popped the question to his future bride, during a carriage ride in Canada. The couple tied the knot in 2006, and welcomed their first child; a baby boy named Liam, in 2007. They later welcomed a little girl, Stella, in 2008. The twosome took their love to the small-screen in 2007 when Oxygen premiered their family reality show, “Tori and Dean: Inn Love” which was later changed to “Tori and Dean: Home Sweet Hollywood.” We hope this small screen love story does not turn into a broken home!
3. Sharon and Ozzy Osbourne - Audiences endured a wild ride on the Osbourne’s ‘Crazy Train’ during their reality stint! The Prince and Princess of Darkness have been hitched since 1982, but decided to take their love to new heights 20 years later when MTV launched the hit reality series, “The Osbournes.” Cameras followed the maddening escapades of the rockin’ family through drug addiction, cancer battles, and neighborhood spats. The fiery redhead and the Black Sabbath singer have three children together, and their love remains stronger then ever. Sharon is currently one of three judges on NBC’s “America’s Got Talent,” while Ozzy is busy in the studio working on new music. We know that this rockin’ romance will be everlasting!
2. Heidi and Spencer Pratt – The publicity hungry Pratts have made a successful living out of seducing the media (and creating enemies along the way!) with their outrageous antics. Heidi started off as a “Hills” sidekick to then BFF Lauren Conrad. Heidi soon met Spencer, who swept her off her feet and left a trail of disapproval from Heidi’s friends and family. After a very public tiff with frenemy LC over a rumored sex tape, the duo became “The Hills” most hated. After a roller coaster relationship, which included several break-ups and make-ups, the two finally tied the knot in April 2009. The duo signed on to be jungle castaways in the NBC Summer series “I’m A Celebrity…Get Me Out Of Here,” and after several teases, the couple ultimately jumped ship, but not before alienating all of the other celebrity contestants. But you know what they say… the couple that jungles together, stays together!
1. Trista and Ryan Sutter – He got the final rose and she got a proposal! After a million dollar televised wedding and two beautiful children, this ‘as seen on TV’ romance is still going strong. The couple tied the knot in 2003, after finding true love during the first season of “The Bachelorette.” The reality wedding aired on ABC and pulled in a strong 17 million viewers, with a price tag of over $4 million. In 2007, the duo welcomed a baby boy, named Maxwell and earlier this year they welcomed a little girl, named Blakesley. Trista and Ryan currently live in Vail, Colorado where Ryan works as a fireman and Trista has developed her own collection of eco-friendly diaper bags. Trista and Ryan are the first (and only…) couple to come out of “The Bachelor” series with wedding bands intact! We hope after almost six years of marital bliss, this couple will stand the test of time.
Copyright 2013 by NBC Universal, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.