Access Week In Geek (October 8, 2010)
First Published: October 8, 2010 4:52 PM EDT Credit: Warner Bros.
NEW YORK, N.Y. -- NO 3-D FOR THE FIRST HALF OF “DEATHLY HALLOWS”
Warner Bros. announced today that the first of the two installments of “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows” will be released in both standard and IMAX screens, but only in the 2-D format, and will not be seen in 3-D as previously announced.
Due to the lengthy process involved in converting the film from its original 2-D shooting format to 3-D for theatres, it would not be completed in time to meet the scheduled November 10, 2010 release.
However, the second installment of the final chapter in the “Harry Potter” series, set for release on July 15, 2011, will be presented in 3-D as planned.
Warner Bros. released the following statement on Friday:
“Warner Bros. Pictures has made the decision to release ‘Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 1’ in 2-D, in both conventional and IMAX theaters, as we will not have a completed 3-D version of the film within our release date window. Despite everyone’s best efforts, we were unable to convert the film in its entirety and meet the highest standards of quality. We do not want to disappoint fans who have long-anticipated the conclusion of this extraordinary journey, and to that end, we are releasing our film day-and-date on November 19, 2010 as planned. We, in alignment with our filmmakers, believe this is the best course to take in order to ensure that our audiences enjoy the consummate ‘Harry Potter’ experience.”
Producer David Heyman added, “For 10 years, we have worked alongside Alan Horn and the studio, whose priority has always been to preserve the integrity of Jo Rowling’s books as we have adapted them to the screen, and this decision reflects that commitment.”
Director David Yates continued, “This decision, which we completely support, underscores the fact that Warner Bros. has always put quality first.”
“As scheduled, on July 15, 2011, we will deliver to conventional and IMAX theaters our final installment of the film franchise, ‘Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2,’ in both 2-D and 3-D formats,” the statement concluded.
“GREEN LANTERN” TRAILER TO DEBUT WITH “HARRY POTTER”
DC writer and Chief Creative Officer Geoff Johns broke the news today at New York Comic-Con that the highly anticipated first trailer for “Green Lantern,” starring Ryan Reynolds and Blake Lively, will make its big screen debut with “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 1.”
“Green Lantern” will be presented as a 3-D release next year, but since Warner Bros. just announced the first installment of “Deathly Hallows” will not be, it seems unlikely the Emerald Gladiator’s trailer will be seen in three dimensions this November. Anticipation for this film is so high, it’s unlikely fans will mind.
MORGAN FREEMAN UPDATE ON “BATMAN 3”
“I can’t tell you a thing about it,” Morgan Freeman said about the upcoming follow up to “The Dark Knight.”
“Trust me, I don’t know anything at all,” he continued.
“What I have heard is that they are going to go into production sometime in the spring,” Freeman did reveal to Access Hollywood at the junket for his new action film, “Red.” “Probably around April. That all presupposes that, number one, Chris (Nolan) finished his script, and that Warner Bros. has signed off on it by then.”
When asked if there is pressure to follow up the global box office success of “The Dark Knight,” Freeman was realistic regarding that daunting task.
“There is always pressure. Not to top it necessarily. But at least to equal it,” he said.
“Why do it?” he then questioned if the film didn’t set out to meet such goals.
But Freeman has full faith in director Christopher Nolan in making a memorable and fitting final chapter in his Batman trilogy. ”My thinking, Chris being Chris, he’s just gonna give it his best go and let the chips fall where they may. And hopefully there will be a lot of chips falling like they were before.”
KARL URBAN TALKS “JUDGE DREDD” REBOOT
“We’ve got a really fantastic script,” Karl Urban revealed to Access Hollywood about the “Judge Dredd” reboot of the 1995 film starring Sylvester Stallone and based on the popular comic book character. “We are about six weak away from shooting it.”
Urban, a fan favorite from his role in “The Lord of the Rings” films and his winning turn as Dr. Leonard “Bones” McCoy in last year’s “Star Trek,” was quick to point out how this film and his portrayal of the Judge Dredd will differ from the first one, which wasn’t exactly met with universal praise and reviews.
“It’s gonna be hardcore, gritty, and more faithful to the original source material,” he promised.
Another major difference in this version, the audience will not see the man under the helmet. “The character in the comic book never took his helmet off, and I don’t plan to deviate,” he said.
Copyright 2013 by NBC Universal, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.