Andy Samberg Talks Saturday Night Live Exit: ‘It’s Definitely Bittersweet’
First Published: June 5, 2012 4:41 PM EDT Credit: Getty Images
LOS ANGELES, Calif. -- Andy Samberg announced he was ending his seven-season run on “Saturday Night Live” last week, something he told Access Hollywood was “bittersweet.”
“My contract was up. I felt like it was my time,” the actor told Access at the “That’s My Boy” junket over the weekend.
“I felt like it went better than I ever could have imagined there,” the star – known for his digital shorts including “Lazy Sunday” and “D*** in a Box,” with Justin Timberlake – continued.
“I worked so hard on those shorts and the guys that I did them with are gone now, I just felt like it was the moment for me [to leave], but it was a dream come true,” he explained of being a part of the “SNL” cast for so long. “That was my dream job since I was a little kid, so it’s definitely bittersweet walking away from it. But, I also will always look back on it fondly and be grateful.
Adding, “I hope to never truly leave.”
Fellow “SNL” star Kristen Wiig also left at the end of this season. Jason Sudeikis who joined the NBC series during the 2005-06 season with Kristen and Andy has not said if he’s returning for another season.
“That’s My Boy” with Adam Sandler hits theaters on June 15.
Copyright 2013 by NBC Universal, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.