Chris Brown has spoken about Tuesday’s “Good Morning America” outburst, where he reportedly smashed a window and stormed out of the show’s Times Square studio in New York City. The incident occurred following an interview with ABC’s Robin Roberts during which he was asked about his 2009 assault upon former girlfriend Rihanna and the status of his probation.
“First of all I want to apologize to anybody who was startled in the office, anybody who was offended or really looked disappointed at my actions because I was really disappointed in my actions” Brown said during an appearance on BET’s “106 & Park” on Wednesday.
“A lot of people don’t know what went down. When I do shows or I do interviews we always send out a talking points sheet and if the network or whomever doing the interviewing isn’t complying with what we want to do so we can equally accomplish a goal we usually back out until its a better situation.
“I felt like they told us this just so they could get us on the show so they can exploit me,” the singer continued. “So, I took it very, very hard and I really kind of kept my composure throughout the whole interview, although you can see me upset, I kept my composure, I did my performance.
“And when I got back I just let off steam. I didn’t physically hurt anyone, I didn’t try to hurt anyone, I just wanted to release the anger that I had inside me because I felt that I worked so hard for this music and I felt like people kept just trying to take it away from me,” Brown explained. “So yes, I got very emotional, and I wanna apologize for acting like that.”
Brown, who was promoting his new album, “F.A.M.E.,” when the incident occurred, urged his fans to not start an online war with ABC or Roberts.
“Do not send any threats, anything like that, I’ve been hearing things on Twitter — we need to take a stand and focus on the more positive things in life,” he added.
As previously reported on AccessHollywood.com, following the incident, ABC released a statement, saying, “As always, we ask questions that are relevant and newsworthy, and that’s what we did in this interview with Mr. Brown.”
The singer is currently serving five years of probation for assaulting Rihanna in February 2009 after a pre-Grammy Awards party.