Up to 50 million American are affected by an autoimmune disease. Instead of popping pills, many folks get their health back on track by changing their diet. By removing grain from your recipes, many people start to feel better.
Danielle Walker, author of “Against All Grain: Meals Made Simple” stopped by Access Hollywood Live with grain-free recipes that are easy and enjoyable for the entire family.
Pepperoni Pizza Pasta
- 4 ounces pepperoni, cut into wedges and sliced crosswise
- 3/4 pound mild Italian sausage, casings removed
- 3 cups stemmed and coarsely chopped kale
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 pounds yellow squash
- 3/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 to 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast*
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
- * Substitute Parmesan cheese for SCD.
- Heat a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the pepperoni and cook for 2 minutes on each side, until browned. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Crumble the sausage and add it to the pot along with the kale and salt. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes, until the sausage is cooked through.
- Meanwhile, trim the ends off of the squash and use a spiral slicer or julienne slicer to create noodles.
- Add the noodles to the pot and sauté for 5 minutes, until crisp-tender.
- Stir in the tomato paste, 1 tablespoon of the water, nutritional yeast, and oregano. Cover and continue cooking for 8 minutes, until the sauce is simmering and the noodles are soft. Add up to 2 more tablespoons of water if the sauce needs to be thinned further.
Check the sausage and pepperoni ingredients carefully to avoid sugars, nitrates, and other additives. Applegate brand makes a wonderful pepperoni, and bulk organic sausage can be found at most health food stores
Chicken & Rice Casserole
- 1 Cup raw whole cashews
- 3/4 cup Chicken Stock (page 242)
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoon ghee or extra virgin olive oil, dived
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 shallots, minced
- 4 ounces cremini mushrooms, minced
- 3 cups riced cauliflower (see Tidbits)
- 8 ounces broccoli florets, roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 3/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- Fill a bowl with boiling water and place the cashews in the water. Soak for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and lightly grease a 3-quart casserole dish with 1 teaspoon of the ghee.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons of ghee in a sauté pan over medium-high heat. Sauté the garlic, shallots, and mushrooms for 3 minutes. Add the cauliflower, broccoli, salt, and pepper and continue cooking for 7 to 10 minutes, until the vegetables are crisp-tender. Stir in the chicken, then remove from the heat and set aside.
- Drain the soaked cashews and place them in a blender with the remaining sauce ingredients. Blend on high for 30 to 45 seconds, until very smooth. Stir the sauce into the chicken and vegetable mixture, then turn the entire mixture into the prepared casserole dish.
- Bake, covered, for 15 minutes. Uncover and continue baking 10 minutes.
To rice cauliflower, run florets through a food processor with a grating attachment or use a box grater to create rice like pieces. Pick out any large fragments that didn’t get shredded and save for another use.
Store-bought rotisserie chicken made with clean ingredients makes this dish especially quick and easy.
Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 large egg white or 1 flax-egg (see Tidbits)
- 2 tablespoons melted ghee, coconut oil, or palm shortening
- 1/3 cup coconut crystals
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup arrowroot powder
- 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup chopped dark chocolate
- 1/4 cup diary- and soy-free chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or using an electric hand mixer, beat the egg white or flax-egg, ghee, coconut crystals, and honey on medium speed until smooth.
- Add the tahini, arrowroot powder, vanilla salt, and baking soda and beat on medium speed for 15 seconds, then on high for 15 seconds, until well incorporated. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Drop spoonfuls of dough onto the baking sheet, then gently spread the dough a bit with the back of the spoon. The dough can also be left as mounds for less crispy cookies.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until golden brown. Allow to cool on a wire rack.
Double (or triple!) the recipe and store the cookies in a sealed container in the freezer for up to 6 months. The cookies are every bit as good straight out of the freezer, or thaw at room temperature for 30 minutes.
This dough is more thin and runny than a traditional cookie dough, so do not be alarmed. To make the flax-egg: combine 1 tablespoon finely ground golden flaxseed with 3 tablespoons warm water. Allow the mixture to thicken for 15 minutes in the refrigerator before using.