Simon Cowell has set the record straight amidst rampant reports that claim Fergie is being considered for a judging position on his latest reality endeavor, “The X Factor.”
“All I can tell you is that her name was put forward,” Simon told reporters of the Black Eyed Peas singer, on a conference call to promote “X Factor” auditions on Thursday. “But… we have to check out everyone’s availability… You’re working five to six days a week.
“I can confirm that her name has been put forward,” he added.
The 51-year-old Brit is excited about the response he’s received so far from “X Factor” auditions – just under 20,000 hopefuls turned up in Los Angeles, while 8,000 – 10,000 are expected to show up in Miami.
“Auditions are going great, actually,” he told reporters. “Numbers are much higher than we anticipated.”
Despite appearing noticeably softer when judging the UK’s version of “The X Factor” (in comparison to his surly “American Idol” persona), Simon said he still plans to be brutally honest on his new U.S. version of the talent competition, and offered advice to his flocks of would-be contestants around the country.
“If you’re hopeless, we’ll tell you. Otherwise these shows become boring or fake,” he said, before adding, “Don’t turn up and do a typical talent show audition… Try to be original, try to stand out… Don’t be afraid to be different.”
As previously reported on AccessHollywood.com, acclaimed music mogul L.A. Reid was the first star to be confirmed as a judge for Simon’s new show.
Other celebrities reportedly being considered are Jessica Simpson, Paula Abdul, George Michael, former Pussycat Dolls singer Nicole Scherzinger and Mariah Carey.
“The X Factor” will debut on FOX this fall.