A little over a week ahead of his return to the stage at MTV’s Video Music Awards, Kanye West has issued a new apology to Taylor Swift.
The controversial rapper took to his Twitter account on Saturday morning for an early morning mea culpa of sorts, posting dozens of messages in under one hour – including a new apology for jumping on stage during Taylor’s Best Female Video award acceptance speech, where he stole the mic and suggested Beyonce should have picked up the moonman.
“I’m sorry Taylor,” Kanye Tweeted, following a lengthy Twitter rant about the career misfortune and media scrutiny he claimed to have suffered following the 2009 incident.
After starting out his Saturday Tweets about his upcoming new tunes, Kanye posted a series of messages he referred to as a “stream of consciousness,” where he took up what happened at the VMAs.
“I’ve been straying from this subject on twitter but I have to give it to you guys raw now,” Kanye Tweeted.
The “Heartless” rapper then claimed that he has suffered major repercussions from the incident, both emotionally and financially.
“How deep is the scar… I bled hard.. cancelled tour with the number one pop star in the world [Lady Gaga] … closed the doors of my clothing office,” he wrote. “Had to let employees go… for the first time I felt the impact of my brash actions … I felt the recession from an ownership side.”
The rapper wrote that he felt like a worse version of Will Ferrell’s “Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy” character, following the fictional newscaster’s fall from grace.
“People booed when I would go to concerts,” he wrote, adding, “Remember in Anchor Man when Ron Burg[u]ndy cursed on air and the entire city turned on him? But this wasn’t a joke. This was & is my real life.”
The tone of Kanye’s rant was mainly apologetic, with a few ego-driven Kanye-isms thrown in. While the star insinuated that he may not have handled the situation tactfully, he suggested some viewers probably agreed with his praise for Beyonce’s “Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It),” which lost out to Taylor’s “You Belong with Me.”
“There’s a layer of… hey Kanye said what I was thinking,” he Tweeted.
Kanye went on to Tweet that if he had been at the Grammy Awards when Justin Timberlake was up for a host of nods for his 2006 album, “FutureSex/LoveSounds,” he would have stormed the stage out of principle.
“I watched Justin Timberlake at the Gramm[ys] loose every televised award including album of the year which the Dixie Chicks won,” he wrote. “I would have ran on stage for Justin that night because Sexy Back (in my mind) was that important… that impactful to our culture.
“It’s not about race America. No one in our position ever stands up and says anything anymore,” he added.
As for Taylor, Kanye claimed he penned song for the country cutie, and would like her to perform it.
“I wrote a song for Taylor Swift that’s so beautiful and I want her to have it. If she won’t take it then I’ll perform it for her,” the star wrote.
The rapper finished his rant by Tweeting that he plans to win people back.
“I want to win there [sic] hearts back so I can continue to bring my take on culture to the masses with a clean opinion,” he Tweeted, before finally dropping the apology. “It starts with this…”
“I’m sorry Taylor,” he concluded.
As previously reported on AccessHollywood.com, Kanye West will be performing at the 2010 MTV Video Music Awards, which air live from Los Angeles on September 12 at 9 PM.