Fans of AMC’s “Mad Men” are already head over heels for redheaded firecracker Christina Hendricks, who plays saucy head secretary Joan Holloway on the popular series, and now it appears the folks at Esquire magazine are flipping for Christina too.
The men’s mag picked the striking 34-year-old to front the cover of their May 2010 “Women” issue.
In the mag, the beauty, who is married to fellow actor Geoffrey Arend, revealed one of the ways her man wooed her – with a thoughtful picture book.
“When I first started dating my husband, I had this weird fascination with the circus and clowns and old carnival things and sideshow freaks and all that. About a month after we started dating, he bought me this amazing black-and-white photo book on the circus in the 1930s, and I started sobbing. Which freaked him out,” she told the mag. “I thought, ‘Oh, my God, I mentioned this three or four weeks ago and talked about it briefly, but he was really listening to me.’ And he actually went out and researched and found this thing for me. It was amazing.”
Despite playing Joan, who is a master of office and bedroom politics, Christina revealed in her series of suggestions to men in Esquire, that in her own life, things don’t go as smoothly.
“When we come back from a date, we feel awkward about that transition from our cute outfit into sexy lingerie,” she revealed. “We don’t know how to do this gracefully. It’s embarrassing. We have to find a way to slip into another room, put on the outfit as if it all happened very easily, and then come out and it’s: Look at me! Look at the sexy thing I’ve done! For you, it’s the blink of an eye. It’s all very embarrassing. Just so you know.”
She also revealed a hard stance against social networking.
“No man should be on Facebook,” Christina said. “It’s an invasion of everyone’s privacy. I really cannot stand it.”
In related “Mad Men” news, creator Matt Weiner has reportedly said the show, centered around Don Draper (Jon Hamm) and the Sterling-Cooper ad agency, will have an end date.
At the National Association of Broadcasters convention last week, Matt reportedly said the show will conclude in 2012 after six season on the air, TheWeeklyBlend.com first reported.
On Monday, AMC released a statement concerning the “Mad Men” report.
“No one wants to see Don Draper wearing a leisure suit. We trust Matthew’s vision and that he knows where to take the show,” the network’s statement read. But with that said, M*A*S*H figured how to stretch the Korean War for more than a decade, so stay tuned!”