“Dancing With the Stars” contestant Shawn Johnson has been granted a three-year restraining order against her alleged stalker, Robert O’Ryan.
A judge granted the request in a Los Angeles court on Tuesday.
The gymnast’s parents were present in court with their attorney, Laura Stone. Johnson was not in the courtroom.
“The intent of the order is to have Shawn and her family be protected from this person,” Stone told Access following the hearing. “The next thing is going to be a preliminary hearing in the criminal case [against O’Ryan].”
O’Ryan, who remains in custody and was not present in court on Tuesday, was arrested during the early hours of March 24, after trying to break on to the “Dancing” set at CBS Studios to meet Johnson.
The 34-year-old man from Yullee, Fla., allegedly drove from Florida to Los Angeles to meet the 17-year-old Johnson. He pled not guilty to charges of stalking and carrying loaded firearms in Los Angeles Superior Court two days later.
According to a previously granted temporary restraining order against O’Ryan, which required him to stay 500 yards from Johnson, O’Ryan stated that he “packed all his belongings, permanently left Florida to drive across the country because be believes [Shawn] is speaking to him personally through the television via ESP and that he will be with her no matter what.”
Additionally, the request noted that O’Ryan had “two loaded guns” – a .45 caliber handgun, a loaded shotgun “and materials classically used for kidnapping including duct tape, zip ties [and] a map to the victim,” the court filing read. “Also found were love letters, clippings and other information on the victim.”
Following his arrest, it was revealed that O’Ryan had been pulled over by police in Loxley, Alabama, on his way to California.
Pulled over and questioned about where he was headed, O’Ryan said, “California,” where he was going to see a friend, according to WKRG News in Pensacola, Florida.
“Shawn Johnson,” he said in the video. “She’s an Olympic gymnast. She’s on TV now.”
He added that he’d never spoken to her, except in his dreams.
O’Ryan was pulled over on March 19 at 1:30 AM, the Loxley chief of police, Chip Cason, confirmed to Access Hollywood. O’Ryan received two tickets — one for no proof of insurance, and one for expired tags.
Although Cason was not sure how much the tickets would cost, he noted the first one requires a court appearance.
“I don’t think he’ll be able to make that,” Cason previously told Access.