Billboard Charts: A Good Week For Beyonce!
The movie “Dreamgirls” has much to celebrate this week, with three major wins at the Golden Globes Awards and a soundtrack that spends its second week at the top of the Billboard Hot 200 album chart. While this is a fine achievement for Beyonce and her castmates, there is a downside: The meager take of 60,064 sold copies marks the lowest-selling tally for a #1 album since Nielsen SoundScan began to keep track in 1991. This is not a reflection on the album itself, but rather on the entire CD business in general. Album sales are still down dramatically across the boards, while digital downloads continue to thrive.
Akon remains at #2 this week with 55,316 copies of “Konvicted” sold. He also continues to make strong showings with his two smash singles, “I Wanna Love You” and “Smack That.”
Justin Timberlake inches up one spot to #3, pushing Chris Daughtry down to the fourth position on the chart.
Disney’s “Jump In!” soundtrack is the lone debut in the Top 10 this week, coming in at #5 with 48,840 copies sold. “Jump In!” is the latest movie made for the Disney Channel, starring “High School Musical” alum Corbin Bleu as a boxer turned jump-rope competitor. Drew Seeley, Jeannie Ortega and Keke Palmer also contribute tracks on the album. Fellow Disney mainstay “Hannah Montana” slides off the Top 10 this week after a long run for its soundtrack.
Beyonce is back in the Top 10 with her smash hit “B’Day” at #6, and she also enjoys her 7th straight week at #1 on the Hot 100 Singles Chart with “Irreplaceable.” The song also dominated the Hot Digital Songs chart this week with 98,251 downloads.
Fergie, Nelly Furtado and Akon round out the Top 5 in downloads, with the remaining Top 10 spots filled by the same players as last week (though they may be in different positions).
Next week sees new releases from John Mellencamp, The Shins, and Pretty Ricky, as well as a compilation CD featuring the 2007 Grammy Award nominees.
Below are Billboard’s Top 10 Album and Top 10 Downloaded Singles charts for the week.
TOP 10 Albums
ARTIST- TITLE -UNITS SOLD
1. SOUNDTRACK - Dreamgirls - 60,064
2. AKON - Konvicted - 55,316
3. JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE - FutureSex/LoveSounds - 50,611
4. DAUGHTRY - Daughtry - 50,383
5. SOUNDTRACK - Jump In! - 48,840
6. BEYONCE - B’Day - 40,733
7. VARIOUS ARTISTS - Now, Volume 23 - 37,688
8. THE BEATLES - Love - 37,042
9. YOUNG JEEZY - The Inspiration - 35,733
10. NICKELBACK - All the Right Reasons - 35,423
TOP 10 Downloaded Singles
1. BEYONCE - Irreplaceable - 98,251
2. FERGIE - Fergalicious - 96,960
3. NELLY FURTADO - Say It Right - 93,266
4. AKON feat. SNOOP DOGG - I Wanna Love You - 85,068
5. AKON feat. EMINEM - Smack That - 84,406
6. JIM JONES - We Fly High - 75,415
7. MY CHEMICAL ROMANCE - Welcome To The Black Parade - 75,084
8. THE FRAY - How To Save a Life - 69,282
9. THE ALL-AMERICAN REJECTS - It Ends Tonight - 64,277
10. JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE feat. T.I. - My Love - 51,096
Copyright 2014 by NBC Universal, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.