Casey Affleck: Sexual Harassment Suit Is ‘Completely Fabricated’
First Published: July 29, 2010 4:42 PM EDT Credit: Getty Images
-- Following a lawsuit claiming sexual harassment, Casey Affleck and his lawyers are fighting back and calling the claims “completely fabricated.”
Last week, Amanda White filed a lawsuit against Affleck claiming she experienced “unwelcome sexual advances” during the filming of the Joaquin Phoenix documentary, “I’m Still Here: The Lost Year of Joaquin Phoenix,” which Affleck directed and for which White was a producer.
According to court documents obtained by Access Hollywood, Affleck called White’s claims “completely fabricated” and said she never complained during the project and on multiple occasions expressed her happiness about working him.
Affleck’s rep, Ken Sunshine, called White’s suit “desperate.”
“This lawsuit is a transparent pressure tactic by someone trying to get more than she’s entitled to,” Affleck’s rep said in a statement to Access Hollywood. “For 15 months, she tried to use two different attorneys and an agent in a blatant grab for more money, and when each of her other tactics and new theories didn’t work, she concocted these desperate, fabricated claims.”
On Wednesday, Affleck’s lawyer, Marty Singer, filed a motion in LA County Superior Court to have the matter settled by arbitration, claiming White signed an agreement with the production company behind the documentary that said, “All disputes that may arise between the parties … will be determined solely by arbitration.”
A lawyer for White was not immediately available for comment when contacted by Access Hollywood on Thursday morning.
Copyright 2013 by NBC Universal, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.