Charlie Sheen 'Voluntarily' Enters Rehab; 'Two And A Half Men' Goes On Hiatus

Charlie Sheen has checked himself into rehab.

“Charlie Sheen has voluntarily entered an undisclosed rehabilitation center today,” the actor’s rep, Stan Rosenfield, confirmed to Access Hollywood on Friday afternoon.

The move comes just one day after the actor was transported to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles after vomiting, following a late-night bash at his home that extended into the early hours of Thursday morning.

A source told Access Hollywood that Sheen was driven to Promises rehab in Malibu, Calif., early Friday afternoon, by his father, Martin Sheen.

Just as Sheen’s rep announced he was entering rehab, CBS announced that “Two and a Half Men,” the actor’s hit comedy, was going on hiatus.

“Due to Charlie Sheen’s decision to enter a rehabilitation center, CBS, Warner Bros. Television and executive producer Chuck Lorre are placing ‘Two and a Half Men’ on production hiatus,” CBS said in a statement. “We are profoundly concerned for his health and well-being, and support his decision.”

Prior to the news of the actor entering rehab, the sitcom had expected to resume production as planned next week.

In his statement on Friday, Sheen’s rep added that the actor “is most grateful to all who have expressed their concern.”

He also noted that the actor has asked “that his privacy be respected at this time and that no additional information will be provided.”

As previously reported on AccessHollywood.com, Sheen was rushed to Cedars-Sinai early Thursday morning, following a 911 call. A source told Access on Thursday that the actor’s condition at the hospital was “serious,” but despite internet rumors, the actor did not overdose, nor was he in a coma.

Access learned on Thursday that while at the hospital, Sheen was alert and talking.

Sheen, who the source said has been partying lately, with no plans on stopping, had been vomiting during the early hours of Thursday morning.

The actor’s father, Martin Sheen, and his mother, Janet, as well as two of his exes – ex wife Denise Richards and estranged wife Brooke Mueller (they filed for divorce in November 2010) — went to visit Sheen in the hospital on Thursday.

Rosenfield confirmed to Access on Friday morning that Sheen left the hospital on Thursday night and went home.

Access learned on Friday that Sheen’s father, Martin, stayed with his son on Thursday night and tried to convince him to check into rehab.

A rep for Martin Sheen was not immediately available for comment when contacted by Access.

As for Richards, on Thursday evening, she Tweeted her gratitude to those who reached out with messages of encouragement.

“Thank you so much for you kind and supportive messages..it means a lot …thank u…x,” she wrote.

She later blasted reports that quoted people described as her “friends” and called the situation private.

“I love how certain media outlets say my ‘friends’ are speaking to the press..all B.S. Nothing has been discussed this is a private matter,” she Tweeted on Friday.

Sheen’s hospitalization came less than a day after his “Two and A Half Men” co-star, Jon Cryer, admitted he checks the Sheen news online before heading to work on the CBS sitcom in the morning.

“It’s always a little weird because like the stuff you hear is just unbelievable,” Cryer told Conan O’Brien on Wednesday night’s “Conan.” “I mean like…I’m checking TMZ, as I do everyday, to know if I have to go to work at all.”

Additionally, earlier this month, Nina Tassler, president of CBS’ entertainment division, told reporters the network was concerned about Sheen’s recent behavior.

“We have a high level of concern and how could we not?” Tassler previously told reporters at the Television Critics Association Winter 2011 Session. “On a very basic human level, concern, of course. This man is a father; he’s got children; he has a family… but you can’t look at it simplistically.”

Tassler said Sheen understood the network had concerns, but the actor was meeting all of his obligations to the show.

“I don’t know what personal concern — what personal information has been given to him, but he certainly knows how we feel… he knows the level of concern that we have,” she said at the time. “Right now, the show continues to be as successful as it always is. Everyone is doing their job and things are continuing as planned.”

Sheen has had several medical issues in the past several months.

On January 13, a lawyer for the actor confirmed to Access that Sheen was back at work after seeking treatment for an ear infection the day before.

Back in October 2010, authorities in New York City took him to the hospital following a well-publicized incident in a NYC hotel room.

Sheen’s rep told Access at the time that Sheen had “an adverse allergic reaction to some medication,” which required the hospital visit.

Copyright 2014 by NBC Universal, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.