Chef Jet Tila’s Family-Friendly Thai Recipes (Access Hollywood Live)
First Published: August 19, 2013 11:45 AM EDT Credit:
LOS ANGELES, Calif. -- It’s National Hot & Spicy Food Day – and that means it’s time to kick it up a notch in the kitchen!
Chef Jet Tila visited Access Hollywood Live on Monday to serve up a taste of Thailand with his recipes for a healthy and family-friendly Thai meal that can feed a family of four for under $25!
- 1 tbsp. Mushroom Soy Sauce
- 2 tbsp. Sweet Soy Sauce
- 1 tbsp. Oyster Sauce
- 1.5 tbsp. Fish Sauce
- 1 tbsp. Sugar
- 1 tbsp. Sriracha Sauce
- 2 tsp. Garlic, minced
- 6-8 Thai Basil Leaves, chiffonade
- 3 tbsp. Canola or Peanut Oil
- 2-3 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1-2 Serrano Chiles, sliced thin
- 2 Eggs
- 1/3 lbs. Beef, Pork, or Chicken, thin sliced against the grain
- 1/2 Medium White Onion, sliced
- 3-4 cups Fresh Rice Noodles, separated
- 1/4 cup Chinese Rice Wine
- 1 cup Thai Basil Leaves, loosely packed
- 1/2 cup Grape Tomatoes, halved
Combine sauce ingredients in a small bowl and set aside. Heat oil to medium high in a medium sauté pan and sauté garlic until light brown. Add eggs in and lightly scramble until barely set. Add meat and onions folding constantly until the meat is half cooked, about 1 to 2 minutes. Add fresh rice noodles, sauce, tomatoes and basil; toss to combine for about 3 to 5 minutes. Make sure the noodles are cooked until the edges are slightly crisp. Deglaze Pan with rice wine, and then add basil and tomatoes. Serve hot and enjoy!
Gluten-free Thai Fresh Spring Rolls
- 2 ounces rice vermicelli (gluten-free)
- 8 rice wrappers (8.5 inch diameter)
- 8 large cooked shrimp - peeled, deveined and cut in half
- 1 1/3 tablespoons chopped fresh Thai basil
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint leaves
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 leaves lettuce, chopped
- 4 teaspoons fish sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic chili sauce
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped peanuts
Bring a medium saucepan of water to boil. Boil rice vermicelli 3 to 5 minutes, or until al dente, and drain.
Fill a large bowl with warm water. Dip one wrapper into the hot water for 1 second to soften. Lay wrapper flat. In a row across the center, place 2 shrimp halves, a handful of vermicelli, basil, mint, cilantro and lettuce, leaving about 2 inches uncovered on each side. Fold uncovered sides inward, then tightly roll the wrapper, beginning at the end with the lettuce. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
In a small bowl, mix the fish sauce, water, lime juice, garlic, sugar and chili sauce.
In another small bowl, mix the hoisin sauce and peanuts.
Serve rolled spring rolls with the fish sauce and hoisin sauce mixtures.
(Recipes courtesy of Chef Jet Tila)
Copyright 2013 by NBC Universal, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.