Christian Bale Says That Next Batman Film Will Be His 'Last One'
Christian Bale is committed to donning the black cape one more time as Batman in the next installment of the franchise, but as for confirming the film’s title, leading lady (or ladies) or villains – if Christian doesn’t hear it straight from director Christopher Nolan’s mouth, it isn’t true.
Access Hollywood caught up with Christian during the junket for his latest film, “The Fighter,” co-starring Mark Wahlberg, where he said he was ready to bring “The Dark Knight” back to the big screen one more time.
“Absolutely!” Christian said, when asked if he was preparing to film the next Batman movie. “I’m assuming it’s going to be the last one, so I’m very excited about it.”
As far as the film’s title – which Nolan has already announced is “The Dark Knight Rises,” Christian said he’s yet to officially hear that from the director.
“I haven’t spoken with Chris since it got written, so I don’t believe anything unless I hear it straight from Chris,” the actor noted.
When it comes to who may step in as the caped crusader’s next on-screen nemesis or lovely leading lady, Christian said that knowledge is still on a need-to-know basis – and this is one detail he still doesn’t know.
“Chris will let me know what I need to know when I need to know it,” he said. “This is our fourth movie together. He knows me – I’ll know when I need to.”
According to a previous report by Deadline, the race for the female lead in the film is down to six candidates — Keira Knightley, Blake Lively, Rachel Weisz, Naomi Watts, Natalie Portman and Anne Hathaway.
Also previously reported by Deadline, “Inception” star Tom Hardy will also join the project, and while details of his role remain under wraps, it’s rumored he will step in as the caped crusader’s new evil foe.
“The Dark Knight Rises” will hit theaters on July 20, 2012.
Copyright 2014 by NBC Universal, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.