Sorry Spidey, but the Caped Crusader is the new king of the box office.
“The Dark Knight” opened with record-breaking numbers this weekend, taking in an astounding $158.3 million from Friday – Sunday, knocking “Spider-Man 3” from atop the box office record books.
In 2007, the third installment in the Spider-Man franchise opened with $151 million.
But that wasn’t the only record “The Dark Knight” claimed in its opening weekend. In fact, a total of eight records now belong to Batman and friends.
The film, starring Christian Bale and the late Heath Ledger, also posted the biggest single day ever at the box office, taking in a whopping $67 million on Friday alone – another record previously held by “Spider-Man 3.”
Here is a complete breakdown of the eight box office records “The Dark Knight” now holds after its opening weekend:
- Largest number of opening theaters with 4,366 (Previous record: “Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End” opened in 4,362 theaters in 2007).
- Biggest midnight preview gross with $18.4 million in 3,040 theaters (Previous record: “Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith” and its $16.9 million in 2,915 theaters in 2005).
- Biggest IMAX midnight previews, setting a new record with $640,000 (included in the $18.4 million preview number).
- Biggest single-day gross in box-office history with $67.8 million (Previous record: bests the $59,841,919 set by “Spider-Man 3” in 2007).
-Biggest opening weekend gross in box office history with $158.3 million (Previous record: beats the $151,116 million set by “Spider-Man 3” in 2007).
-Biggest opening weekend gross for an IMAX release in box office history with $6,214,061 million in 94 theaters with $66,107 per theater. (Previous record: $4.7 million set by “Spider-Man 3” in 2007.)
- Biggest opening weekend of 2008 with $158.3 million (Previous record: “Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull” with $101.1 million from May 23-25, 2008)
- Biggest July opening ever (Previous record: “Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest” with $135,634,554 on July 7, 2006).
Copyright 2014 by NBC Universal, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.