“Desperate Housewives” will conclude at the end of its upcoming eighth season, ABC confirmed on Sunday.
“All good things eventually come to an end, and in the eighth and final season, the stakes for everyone on Wisteria Lane are at an all-time high,” ABC said in a release on Sunday, just ahead of the start of the network’s Television Critics Association Summer Session in Beverly Hills.
“Season 8 of ‘Desperate Housewives’ will roll out in a way that is accessible even to viewers who may have lapsed in their viewing, and be all the richer and more rewarding to the series’ loyal fans,” ABC’s release read.
ABC Entertainment President Paul Lee said the network was proud of the work done on the program.
“It is an iconic show, we’re so proud of it,” Lee said at the TCA event on Sunday.
“I just wanted to make sure this show, [which] put this network on the map… had its victory lap,” he added.
Cast member Vanessa Williams previously Tweeted about the news on Friday, when reports first emerged about the cancellation.
“Yes-DH fans. The rumors are true. This is the final season of a landmark show,” she wrote at the time. “So proud to be a part of it. Be sure to watch come Fall :(“
The long-running primetime soapy drama, starring Eva Longoria, Felicity Huffman, Teri Hatcher and Marcia Cross, began airing on the network in October of 2004.
Creator Marc Cherry is not producing the upcoming season of “DH,” according to the Associated Press.
“Desperate Housewives” previously had expected to conclude after nine seasons, in 2013.
Copyright 2014 by NBC Universal, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.