Coroner: Brad Renfro Died From Accidental Heroin Overdose
First Published: February 8, 2008 5:22 PM EST Credit: NBC
LOS ANGELES, Calif. -- The Los Angeles County Coroner has ruled that actor Brad Renfro died from an accidental heroin overdose, Access Hollywood has learned.
An autopsy concluded Renfro died from “acute heroin/morphine intoxication.” The coroner’s report also indicated the drugs were injected.
“The final manner of death has been ruled an accident,” the report concluded.
Renfro, 25, was found dead in his Los Angeles home on Jan. 15.
His breakthrough role came in 1994, when the then-10-year-old child star starred alongside Susan Sarandon and Tommy Lee Jones in “The Client.”
Renfro’s other film credits included “Tom and Huck” and “Ghost World.”
In 1998, at the age of 15, Renfro was charged with cocaine and marijuana possession but managed to skip out on jail time by making a plea deal.
Three years later, he made headlines again, when he was charged with trying to steal a yacht in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.
In December 2005, a photo of a handcuffed Renfro was featured in the LA Times when he was arrested after attempting to buy heroin from undercover officers conducting a sting operation on Skid Row in downtown LA.
Copyright 2013 by NBC Universal, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.