Dish Of Salt: 11 Teens To Watch in 2011
First Published: December 18, 2010 8:04 PM EST Credit: WireImage
LOS ANGELES, Calif. -- There’s no question that Justin Bieber will go down as 2010’s most famous new teen sensation. It might be quite some time before we see anyone come along and rule the world of pop music quite like he did this year. However, several new pop stars will no doubt try. But don’t count out the TV and Film worlds – they have some bright young shining faces hoping to finally make their mark in Hollywood this year as well.
AccessHollywood.com has been combing the tween and teen magazines, reading the blogs and chatting with Hollywood movers and shakers to find out which young stars are poised to make the most impact this year. We present to you, in no particular order, our list of “11 Teens To Watch in 2011.”
1. Jasmine V The 17-year-old San Jose, California native first gained attention when she appeared as the sassy brunette dissing Justin Bieber in the music video for his breakout single “Baby.”
“It was the first time I had ever met Justin,” Jasmine explained at the 2010 Kids Choice Awards. “His manager and my manager are really cool friends and they asked me to be in the video and I was more than happy too.”
Jasmine, herself an aspiring pop star, was asked to join Justin as an opening act in September 2010 on the second leg of his world tour. Her first single, “All These Boys,” debuted on iTunes in October and she has an album set for release in 2011.
Jasmine’s star meter went up when paparazzi caught Justin and her kissing in September but on Barbara Walters recent “10 Most Fascinating People of 2010” special, he said that he is currently single. Either way, their relationship helped put Jasmine on the musical map.
2. Cody Simpson This mop topped blonde 13-year-old hails from Australia which is where he was living when he was discovered by Grammy nominated record producer Shawn Campbell. Cody began by uploading videos of himself singing and playing the guitar to YouTube.
“He looked at my video. He just came across it by accident and then sent me a message and now I’m here making my music, living my dream,” Cody told us during a recording session in September.
Little girl crushes are building for Cody and he is being compared to Justin Bieber from down under. Considering his first music video for the song “iYiYi” (featuring Flo Rida) has been viewed over 8 million times on YouTube, he could give the Biebs a run for his money! An EP entitled “4 U” is scheduled to be released on iTunes December 21.
Cody recently stopped by the set of Access Hollywood Live. Check out the interview HERE.
3. All Star Weekend Following in the footsteps of famous boy bands like ‘NSync and the Backstreet Boys is a group known as All Star Weekend from Poway, California. The group got its start back in 2009 after they were contestants on Disney Channel’s “Next Big Thing” special. They actually came in second but still managed to land a record deal with Hollywood Records.
While not all the band mates remain in their teens — one of the band members, 19-year-old Cameron Quiseng, recently made headlines when he was spotted on what looked like a bowling date with Selena Gomez. There’s nothing like a dating rumor to help garner some attention for your music! Now tweens and teens follow this boy band’s every move.
Their debut album, “Suddenly Yours,” was released on October 19, 2010 and the band is currently on tour making little girls everywhere swoon.
4. Victoria Justice While certainly not a brand new face, the 17-year-old brunette beauty from Hollywood, Florida has been acting since age 11 landing a plum role on the popular Nickelodeon series “Zoey 101.” However, with her starring turn on Nickelodeon’s “Victorious,” which debuted in March 2010 to record ratings, she is slowly becoming an it girl in the making.
Besides her hit show, this teen starlet has an album coming out in 2011… but it’s her jaw dropping good looks that have been turning heads in fashion circles. She recently has been showing off her glamour girl side alongside stars like “Glee” fashionista Lea Michelle at red carpet events and the magazines are starting to take notice. Expect to see her face everywhere in 2011.
Watch video of Victoria behind the scenes of “Victorious” HERE.
5. Bella Thorne / 6. Zendaya Coleman Disney Channel always manages to churn out bright stars each and every year so it’s no wonder not one — but two — of them made our list. Bella (13) and Zendaya (14) star as Rocky and CC, two aspiring young dancers who get a chance to dance on their favorite Chicago dance show in the sitcom “Shake It Up.” The series premiere was seen by over six million viewers, debuting as the second highest-rated series premiere in Disney Channel’s 27-year history, behind only the series premiere of “Hannah Montana.” We all know how that turned out for star Miley Cyrus!
While Bella has been racking up an impressive resume with small roles on HBO’s “Big Love,” ABC’s “Dirty Sexy Money” and NBC’s “My Own Worst Enemy,” this is Zendaya’s very first acting role, which is why we named her our AccessHollywood.com Rising Star in October 2010.
Check out behind the scenes footage with Bella and Zendaya from “Shake It Up” HERE.
7. Max Ehrich Bella Thorne can attest that sometimes it’s the small roles that lead to the bigger ones. Nineteen-year-old Max is getting the ball rolling in the world of TV in a major way. His first experience on a film was in “High School Musical 3.” Then Max landed a plum role in the Lifetime movie “Pregnancy Pact.” That led to guest starring roles this year on “No Ordinary Family,” “Shake It Up” and “iCarly.” Next year he starts recurring roles on NBC’s “Parenthood” and CMT’s new sitcom “Working Class.”
“Since I was four years old I knew exactly what I wanted to do,” Max told us in our recent interview.
He acts, sings, dance, plays piano and writes his own music, but right now Max is focused on his acting career. “Right now acting is definitely first. I’m just excited to see what comes my way. I am already blessed with what I have already done and I’m just so stoked to see what comes to me in the New Year.”
Nothing ups your likeability factor with fans more than a good dating rumor and Max already has that one covered. Although Max is single, he recently was spotted out and about with “iCarly” star Miranda Cosgrove. He played her love interest in a recent episode of the show but Max says they are just friends.
“Whenever you hang out with someone you are dating,” Max chuckled. “You are married! She’s engaged now!”
Check out our recent interview with Max HERE.
8. Cameron Monaghan He doesn’t hail from Gary, Indiana, but he sure knows how to sing about it. Seventeen-year-old Cameron landed his first major acting role in a 2003 TV movie version of “The Music Man,” which starred Matthew Broderick. With his bright red hair and freckles he was the perfect kid to play Winthrop Paroo. That red hair made it a little more difficult to wade through the typecasting in Hollywood but Cameron has come out the other side with a major TV role in 2011. He’ll play Ian Gallagher in Showtime’s high profile project, “Shameless,” about a struggling lower income family trying to make ends meet in Chicago. In the show, premiering January 9, he plays son to Willam H. Macy and sister to Emmy Rossum.
“This is a role that I’ve always seen in movies or something like that. [I thought] Aw man, I wish there was role like that for my age and now that’s finally here and it’s amazing,” Cameron told us in a recent interview.
Check out our recent interview with Cameron about his new show “Shameless” HERE.
Moreover, you’ll be able to catch Cameron this April in Disney’s new high school John Hughes-esque film, “Prom.”
9. Hailee Steinfeld You may not have heard Hailee’s name just yet but you will… because Hollywood insiders know it well. The 14-year-old newcomer is earning rave reviews from critics all over town for her turn in the upcoming “True Grit” opposite Matt Damon, Josh Brolin and Jeff Bridges. The young actress has been nominated for a Critics Choice Award and a Broadcast Film Critics Award, as well as a SAG Award for Outstanding Performance By A Female Actress in a Supporting Role.
The Thousand Oaks, California native beat out 15,000 other girls to land the role of Mattie Ross. “It’s always when I go up for things my mom and I (and my family) we are always trying to stay positive through all of the times of being rejected. If it’s not this one, it’s something bigger and better and that’s kind of what’s always pushed me through… and I’m exactly where I want to be and this is amazing,” Hailee told us at the film’s press junket.
With the words ‘scene stealer’ promptly used in front of her name in articles written about the movie, Hailee’s poised to make a huge impact in film in 2011.
Check out our interview with Hailee about “True Grit” HERE.
10. Elle Fanning She’s no stranger to the Hollywood acting scene, having appeared in small acting roles since the age of 2, but it’s Elle’s big sister, Dakota Fanning, who has made the most impact in the business - up until now.
With her much buzzed about role in Sofia Coppola’s latest film “Somewhere,” due out this month, the soon to be 13-year-old is poised to become as big of a name as her big sis. She has several projects lined up in 2011, including a spot in the super secret Steven Spielberg/J.J. Abrams project “Super 8.” Like her sister, who is a cheerleader at her high school and was voted Homecoming Queen last month, Elle is planning not to let acting take over her life.
“I think that I really want to keep the normal life. I just started middle school and that’s a huge deal. I got my own locker,” Elle happily exclaimed at a press junket for “Somewhere.”
Juggling her budding acting career and all those school books could prove difficult!
Watch our interview with Elle about “Somewhere” HERE.
11. Chloe Grace Moretz Check out Chloe’s acting profile and you will see that this 13-year-old is the film world’s busiest young actress today. In 2011, she has at least five high profile projects in the works.
After kicking some butt as Hit Girl in the superhero flick “Kick Ass” this past spring she says that she’ll follow that up with “Kick Ass 2” in 2011. However, the role that really turned heads in Hollywood was as a child vampire in “Let Me In.” She’s a double nominee for both films at the Critics Choice Awards as best young actress.
Ironically, it was her brother that got Chloe interested in the acting world. “My brother started acting before me,” she told us in September. “He’s been my acting coach since I started in this business. He used to bring his lines home and I used to read them and he was like ‘You’re good!’ You have something!’
She certainly does and that’s why AccessHollywood.com also named her one of our Rising Stars in September.
Check out our interview with Chloe HERE.
Copyright 2013 by NBC Universal, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.