Fox Says It Will Try To Stop ‘Watchmen’
First Published: December 30, 2008 4:28 PM EST Credit: Warner Bros.
LOS ANGELES, Calif. -- An attorney for 20th Century Fox says the studio will press its case to delay the release of “Watchmen,” but a rival studio says it plans to release the film as scheduled.
U.S. District Judge Gary Feess last week agreed with Fox that Warner Bros. had infringed its copyright by developing and shooting the superhero flick, casting some doubt on its March 6 release date.
Feess said Monday he plans to hold a trial Jan. 20 to decide remaining issues.
Fox claims it never fully relinquished story rights for the graphic novel from its deal made in the late 1980s, and sued Warner Bros. in February. Warner Bros. contended Fox isn’t entitled to distribution.
Warner Bros. said in a statement released Monday afternoon that it won’t move the movie’s release date and still thinks it will win the case, either at trial or through an appeal.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.