MTV Video Music Awards: 10 Of The Wildest Moments Ever!
1 of 10
10. Andrew Dice Clay’s Foul Mouth: Comedian Andrew Dice Clay earned a lifetime ban from MTV in 1989, when he revealed a too-foul-for-TV mouth on the awards show.
2 of 10
9. Lil’ Kim’s Little Outfit: Lil’ Kim made a splash at the 1999 awards when she wore an outfit that left one of her breasts exposed, covered only be a small piece of fabric over her nipple. When she took the stage with Mary J. Blige and Diana Ross to…
3 of 10
8. Howard Stern’s “Fartman”: Radio shock jock Howard Stern may be a hero to his listeners, but he appeared as a real-life action figure at the 1992 VMAs, dressed up as “Fartman” – a costume that revealed his backside. He got up close and personal with…
4 of 10
7. Fiona Apple Calls ‘Bulls**t’: Newcomer Fiona Apple surprised fans in 1997, when she took the stage to accept the award for Best New Artist Video. “This world is bull***t,” she told the crowd, then quoting Maya Angelou to say, “Go with yourself.”
5 of 10
6. Krist Novoselic’s Bass Blunder: During a performance at the 1992 awards, Nirvana bassist Krist Novoselic threw his bass into the air in a rock ‘n’ roll move – only to have it come crashing down on his head. Still conscious, but a bit wobbly, he then…
6 of 10
5. Michael Jackson’s *NSYNC Surprise: Michael Jackson wowed the crowd in 2001, when he took the stage with *NSYNC for a surprise performance during the boy band’s song, “Pop.” The King of Pop showcased a number of his signature dance moves as *NSYNC star…
7 of 10
4. Michael Jackson & Lisa Marie Presley’s Kiss: In 1994, Michael Jackson made an appearance with then-wife Lisa Marie Presley – and put rumors about their marriage to rest by kissing her on stage.
8 of 10
Getty Images/Time & Life Pictures
3. Madonna’s Sexy “Virgin”: The first-ever Video Music Awards got off to a hot start in 1984, when Madonna took the stage in a wedding dress and bustier ensemble to perform “Like a Virgin,” shocking the audience when she began rolling around the stage.
9 of 10
2. Britney & Madonna’s Kiss: Madonna had one of her many memorable moments at the VMAs in 2003 when she was joined by Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera to perform a medley of “Like a Virgin” and “Hollywood.” But instead of dressing as a bride,…
10 of 10
1. Britney’s Bomb — And Her Comeback: In 2007, just months before being forcibly taken to the hospital under a 5150 psychiatric hold, Britney reached a low point at the VMAs with a disappointing performance of “Gimme More.” Struggling with her dance…