George Clooney’s Lake Como Villa Rocked By Bomb Scare; Dead Body Found Also!
First Published: April 29, 2010 5:00 PM EDT Credit: AMPAS
LOS ANGELES, Calif. -- An arsenal of WWII bombs was reportedly found near George Clooney’s Lake Como villa on Thursday, but the actor appears to be taking the scare in stride. However, while Access has confirmed this discovery, Access has also learned that a dead body was recently found near Clooney’s estate.
In news first reported by Britain’s Daily Mail and later confirmed by Access Hollywood, military experts removed a deadly arsenal that included grenades, mortars and aircraft bombs from the waters of Lake Como, just 45 feet away from the actor’s palatial Italian home.
According to The Daily Mail, the explosives were found after a fisherman pulled an explosive device from the bottom of the lake.
An area near Clooney’s home was reportedly sealed off by Italian military, while divers removed the potentially deadly devices. The explosives will reportedly be detonated in a cave.
When contacted by Access Hollywood, the actor – who was believed not to be at the 30-room home at the time (he is currently shooting “The Descendents” in Hawaii) – appeared to be keeping his sense of humor about the situation.
“This is not the first bomb I’ve experienced,” Clooney said in a statement to Access.
In related news, this isn’t the first deadly situation to occur recently near the actor’s home, which he purchased in 2002 for almost $10 million.
An employee at the nearby Villa Serbelloni in Lake Como told Access that three weeks ago, the body of Swiss woman was discovered in Lake Como. According to the employee, she had been killed by her husband in Switzerland, who then crossed into Italy and dumped her body in the water late at night, not far from Clooney’s estate.
Copyright 2013 by NBC Universal, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.