Glam Slam: Go Nude!
First Published: April 29, 2010 1:42 PM EDT Credit: WireImage
LOS ANGELES, Calif. -- I’m not talking about ditching your duds, of course… it’s all about “nude,” flesh-toned colors, which are huge for Spring and Summer. Demi Moore, Drew Barrymore, Beyonce and Miley Cyrus all looked gorgeous in the “buff” on the red carpet, but how does that translate into real life?
Melissa Richardson Akkaway, owner of Beckley boutique in Los Angeles, says it’s easy to go nude. “In my book, nude is the greatest neutral (sorry, black)! It’s classic, timeless, chic, risqué – you name it.”
Melissa shares five ways to work nudes into your wardrobe.
1. A simple and easy way to incorporate nude into an outfit is with shoes. I’ve seen great natural-tone wedges with rope and cork, sexy cage heels in nude/beige tones or simple ballet flats. Paired with shorts or mini dresses, a nude shoe makes your legs look like Gisele Bundchen’s – long and lean. Nudes are also great to wear with your bright tops, print tops or dresses and they blend in seamlessly. My favorite picks this season are the Stitched Ballet Flat in Beige or the Nude Moccasin from Lanvin. I also love Steve Madden’s gladiator style Saahara sandal in dusty gold or nude.
2. For a very subtle way of incorporating nude into your look, try a nude nail polish. It’s a chic and sophisticated way to look “polished.” The natural look of nude on your nails looks fresh and clean whether you have sun-kissed, tan or even pale skin tones. Nude color nails not only make your hands look long and graceful (which is why I love them), but they look gorgeous with bright tunics and colorful maxi dresses. I’ve been sticking with Eternal Optimist and Sand of a Beach by Essie or O.P.I’s Make Men Blush and Chanel’s Classic Nude are also fantastic.
3. Nude lingerie is an absolute necessity. I wear nude camisoles under sheer blouses, sheer whites or even under blazers. I love Cosabella nude color Soft Bras as well as their nude slips. I also love Commando nude thongs and SPANX to cover those not so flattering bumps and lumps. Le Mystere is a ‘go to’ for lingerie’s key basics. One of my favorite styles is their nude Isabella All Over Lace bra. This is the perfect bra for every day dressing because it offers great coverage, yet looks super sexy under blouses and button downs with the help of its sophisticated nude lace detailing.
4. Handbags are one of my favorite accessories to have in nude or natural tones. I love an oversized nude hobo and it feels so fresh for Spring. It’s more versatile than white and you won’t panic about getting it dirty. I use an oversized hobo style bag for weekend getaways. Paired with a great pair of jeans and a crisp white button down shirt, it’s my classic, sexy most favorite way to wear nude! One of my favorite bags of the season is CC Skye’s Love 82 Hobo in the ultra-sexy nude python. The python and shape give the bag some real edge, but the nude keeps it classic and feminine – you’ll live in this bag. I’m also keeping an eye on Banana Republic’s Large Leather Tote – the gold is a soft, shimmering nude and it’s big enough to carry everything.
5. To make a big statement with nude, go for an all-over look. Don’t be afraid to wear a nude dress, nude skirt and blouse combo or (my favorite) a trench coat! The key to doing it right is to realize the textures and intricacies of nude. A dress with the same color embellishments like ruffles or nude buttons is a great way to do nude all over. Wear a nude skirt and blouse, but break it up with a gold or black belt in between. A nude dress with a detailed shoulder and rich texture can be paired with a nude heel for a head-to-toe polished look. The all time classic favorite never seems to tire — throw a nude trench over any outfit with any shoe for the perfect all over nude look!
For more info, go to www.beckleyla.com.