Brrrrrrr! Baby, it’s cold outside! Make sure you stay warm, but don’t look like the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man!
Designer, stylist and boutique owner Dawn Baker, whose celeb fans include: Jessica Alba, Bethenny Frankel, and Reese Witherspoon, shares her tips for how to layer with style.
1. When adding layers, don’t be afraid of bold colors and patterns, but remember that sometimes less is more! Fall and winter are filled with both jewel tones and warm hues in the form of scarves, vests and coats and sometimes all it takes to spice up an outfit is the right stripe, pop of color or even animal print—just be mindful, do not pair patterns and prints. Make sure to use those prints in moderation. I would suggest one print per outfit.
2. Skirts! Leggings! Shoes! My favorite part about the transition from summer to fall and winter is bringing the skirts, leggings and boots out of the closet…and trust me, there is no shortage from which to choose this season! Again, subtle textures and bold colors can really complete an outfit. When layering—start with a pair of opaque or tonal tights, then pull on a great skirt and add a pair of boots. (see Jennifer Aniston, pictured) You can also add an additional layer with a high-knee sock pulled up above the top of the boots.
3. Play with different length hemlines—for example, start with a long fitted tank top—one that hits you at your hips. Then add a great long sleeve cashmere sweater that comes to your waist. Throw on a vest or a jacket with an uneven hemline and you are adding some dimension to your outfit.
4. Layer on the jewelry! We all have our favorite outfit in our closet, one that we try to wear twice in one week and hope that no one notices! A great way to disguise this is by mixing up your accessories. Try layering on the bracelets and cuffs, a few great rings or numerous beaded strands around the neck. When layering jewelry, be careful not to try it all at once—so either pile on the necklaces and rings, OR stack the bracelets—but do not do it all at once!
5. And finally—with winter here—snatch up a great hat, pair of fingerless gloves and scarf! There are so many stylish ones out there plus hats are the best accessory for a bad hair day! Try a large floppy one to keep your head warm and a statement scarf in a solid or print- to complete your look.
For more info, check out www.dawn-baker.com.
Copyright 2015 by NBC Universal, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.