Glam Slam: Makeup Mondays — Beauty At 40
First Published: June 18, 2012 2:02 PM EDT Credit: Getty Images
LOS ANGELES, Calif. -- Hollywood beauties Gwyneth Paltrow, Sofia Vergara, Cameron Diaz, Jennifer Garner and Gabrielle Union are all hitting the big 4-0 in 2012.
What a milestone! Turning 40 may seem intimidating, but it doesn’t have to be a scary thing when it comes to your beauty routine.
The gorgeous celebrity makeup artist Carmindy, from TLC’s “What Not to Wear,” recently hit her 40s and knows a thing or two about the importance of “switching up” your routine.
Here, she shares a few tips for women as they approach 40:
1. Don’t Forget Your Lashes: Number one on her list of features to focus on as you age are lashes! A full lash line mimics youth and vitality and it’s a great way to make a BIG statement with your eyes! When I turned 40, I noticed that my eyelashes had become thinner and lighter with time. Look for a product that actually helps grow your own lashes and really works. I personally have been using LATISSE and my lashes have been growing thicker, longer and darker.
2. Carmindize Your Eyes: When we age, we tend to lose some of our radiance in our skin and around the eyes. Give your eyes that sparkle and glow again by sweeping on a shimmering highlighter under the brow bone and on the inside corners of the eyes.
3. Less Really Is More: Here’s a harsh reality; concealer doesn’t erase lines. In fact, adding more cover up can actually exaggerate lines and wrinkles. Finding the right foundation that sets the stage for your own personal beauty show can be challenging, but with a wide range of super natural formulas these days, you can look great without looking like you’re wearing a stitch.
4. Pop Behind The Lens: As we get older, many of us have a hard time examining the fine print on a menu or even driving at night without the help of a pair of glasses. To make your eye color really pop from behind the lenses try using opposite shades of eyeliner. If your eyes are brown use a navy blue pencil. For green eyes, try eggplant. Hazel eyes look amazing with forest green liner and blue eyes look electric with chocolate brown.
5. Cover Up: The fastest way to age your complexion is in the sun, so don’t forget that SPF! I recommend Kiehl’s because you can put it everywhere, even on top of your eyelids!
6. Get Lifted: Dark circles can get worse as we mature. Instead of trying to hide them with thick opaque concealers, lighten up under the eyes using a sheer brightening concealer. Create an instant eye lift by applying it at the inner corners, under the eyes where the skin recedes and at the outer corners of the eyes for a lifted look.
-- Ryan Patterson
Copyright 2013 by NBC Universal, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.