Wow! Did you see Charlize Theron at the MTV Movie Awards?
That gorgeous gal just keeps knocking it out of the park with all of her recent red carpet appearances. I loved her makeup too… simple and natural looking with a nude lip.
Emma Stone went the other direction adding a bright pop of color!
Lips are the easiest way to change UP your look or try out a new trend. Erin Keala Benke, Beauty Stylist for Nordstrom, shares five ways you too can do “Glam Lips.”
1. Get REDdy: Lipstick’s most iconic color is reinvented this Spring! This season, think powerful yet chic. For fair skin tones, choose a pinky-red hue like Dior “Addict Extreme” lipstick in Fireworks (#759) ($30) for a fresh look--think of the shade that your lips get after you eat a cherry popsicle. For darker skin tones, look for an orangey-red that casts a glow on the skin. Nars Semi Matte lipstick in Heat ($24) packs the punch for a night out on the town! For staying power, dust translucent powder in between coats.
2. Lip Stains: As the temperature rises, lipsticks can sometimes feel too heavy and glosses too sticky. For those warmer summer days, coat your lips with ‘Rouge Pur Couture-Vernis a Levres’ Glossy Stain by Yves Saint Laurent ($32). Lightweight in texture, this formula melts right onto lips delivering intense glossy color for long lasting shine. Try Orange De Chine for a bolder look or Rose Tempura to give your lips a quick flush of color.
3. In the Nude: Easy, natural and fresh lips allow the eyes to do all the talking. For a perfect pout, line the lips with a cream-based concealer. In choosing a shade best suited for your skin tone, the lipstick should be one or two tones darker than the inside of your lips. Next, use a lip brush to paint the lips, starting from the center. Finally, dab some loose powder over the lips to help the color stay on longer. In a time crunch? Simply slick on a nude gloss such as Lancome’s ‘Juicy Tubes Jelly’ Ultra Shiny Lip Gloss in “Touched by Light ($18).”
4. Crazy for Coral: Coral is a universally flattering color for any skin tone. For fair skin, choose a pale toned, cooler hue like Smashbox ‘Be Legendary’ Lipstick in Melondrama ($19). For medium or olive skin tones, warmer, apricot toned corals will brighten up your complexion. Clinique’s ‘Colour Surge’ Butter Shine Lipstick in Ambrosia ($15) provides a sun kissed and healthy glow. For darker skin tones, try a brighter shade such as Laura Mercier Lip Shine in Tempting Coral ($22). Remember to have fun and don’t be afraid to experiment with color!
5. Soft and Supple Pucker: Treating your lips to a nutritious diet of vitamins A & E and shea oil are just a few of the key elements to a kissable pout! Try Kiehl’s Lip Balm #1 ($9), a clear formula that protects and helps relieve chapped or cracked lips. Bobbi Brown ‘Yogi Bare lip balm’ ($18) combines petrolatum, candelilla wax and beeswax that comforts and moisturizes lips. Or try MAC Lip Conditioner ($15), an emollient balm that conditions lips and locks in moisture. Use
alone or under lipstick for high impact.
-- Ryan Patterson
Copyright 2014 by NBC Universal, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.