Glam Slam: Makeup Mondays - Maternity Makeup
Pregnancy brings out a natural glow, but it can also wreak havoc on skin.
Chanel Celebrity Makeup Artist Kara Yoshimoto Bua, who has worked with moms Halle Berry and Michelle Williams, as well as stars Jessica Biel, Hillary Swank and Rosario Dawson, shares makeup and skincare tips for pregnant women and new moms.
Kara knows what she’s talking about… she runs around the world making celebrities look great, all while raising her own three-year-old daughter!
1. Color-wise it’s all about a few key Chanel products. (www.chanel.com) Le Crayon Yeux Precision Eye Definer in the Coffee Bean color of espresso is the bomb. This eye crayon LASTS. It looks natural and pumps up the eyes all day and even all night until the next day (yes it happens!).
Secret #1. Keep the color on the lid natural and line the top lid. For the bottom lid, define IN the lash line literally and smudge off the excess and you’ll get a really natural but sexy eye!
Stay away from garish orangey colors and greys which can emphasize dark circles.
Secret #2: After I blend the liner with my finger, I use a little of the excess on my brows - it doubles as an eyebrow definer!
2. My dry lips got worse on and off with hormonal changes and dehydration. I always applied Burt’s Bees Replenishing Lip Balm with Pomegranate Oil (www.burtsbees.com) which has a natural tint and also works great under my favorite new Chanel lip glosses, Aqualumiere Gloss. I drank a lot of pure coconut water too, which has tons of electrolytes. When I can find fresh coconuts (any Chinatown or Thai market has them as well as Whole Foods and many health food stores) I eat the coconut meat too, which has the good fats for making milk!
3. For those little friends that come along with our hormones, I live for Principal Secret Blemish Buster. (www.principalsecret.com) It shrinks pimples and helps them heal fast.
4. My favorite multi-tasking, time-is-of-the-essence-makeup-treatment is Chanel Teint Innocence Compact Naturally Luminous Compact Makeup which is perfect for pregnant women and new moms on-the-go. It provides coverage by evening out skin tone (pregnancy can cause blotchiness!) and leaves your face with a soft glow. It even doubles as a concealer and has SPF in it. I use it under the eyes, around the mouth and for the occasional red spot. The compact is super convenient for on the go touch ups!
5. Any mixture of rose/geranium/lavender hydrosol/water spritzer to refresh, relax, hydrate and care for your body. For a luxurious eye moisturizer, Chanel Sublimage Eye Essential Regenerating Eye Cream is a must. Pregnancy taught me that caring for myself helped me care for the little one inside of me.
Copyright 2014 by NBC Universal, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.