I am dying to see ‘The Runaways,’ the new film about the all girl band with rockers Joan Jett and Cherie Currie, which stars Kristen Stewart and Dakota Fanning. I love the vibe of the whole ‘70s LA scene with the clubs and the clothes and the music. (And I heard the movie is pretty good too.)
‘The Runaways’ Head Makeup Artist, Robin Mathews, designed the ultimate rock star makeup using MAKE UP FOR EVER cosmetics.
“During our research for the film, we watched live concert and video footage and collected over 5000 photos of ‘The Runaways’ and the time period,” Robin says. “Every look in the movie is a recreation of actual photos of the real people. We completely lined the walls of the makeup trailer with real photos of the band. You could barely see the mirrors in the trailer because there were so many photos! ‘The Runaways ’ were such pioneers with their makeup looks that it was imperative to us all to get it exactly right. We used makeup to not only recreate the beauty aspect of the looks but to also sculpt the actors faces to look more like the people they were playing. Of course the best research was having Joan, Cherie and many of the real characters from the movie on set with us. Hanging out with these icons and not only being able to ask them questions about their looks and how and why they came up with them, but to also have them there physically to compare the bone structure with that of the actors had everything to do with the success of the movie’s look.”
Here is a step-by-step guide to create your own rock star inspired makeup.
KRISTEN STEWART AS JOAN JETT: THE CLASSIC SMOKY EYE
1. Start with Eye Shadow #127 (Metallic Taupe). Cover the entire eyelid with shadow so that there are no hard edges, making sure to blend out the color extremely well.
2. Using Aqua Eyes #0L (Mat Black), apply a very generous amount of eyeliner under the eye on the lower lid, then rim the top lid as close to lash line as possible.
3. Using a smudging brush, smudge the liner on the top and bottom of the eye. Robin’s tip: the secret to a great rock and roll smoky eye is all about the smudge – it doesn’t have to be uniform or neat. Once you’re done smudging, go back and re-apply a heavier coat of eyeliner along the lash line. Then, remove any excess shadow that may have fallen using a sponge.
4. Apply Eye Shadow #139 (Iridescent Brown Black), a darker brown than the color used on the base of the lid and smudge it over the black liner that was smudged out earlier on both the top and bottom lids.
5. Use a lash curler to lift all the lashes and prep them for applying mascara.
6. To complete the ultimate smoky eye, I finished with Smoky Lash mascara – which is truly smudge proof, a necessity on and off stage.
7. Apply Smoky Lash first to the tops of the lashes and then follow through scissoring up to create volume and separation.
Smoky Lash; $22
Aqua Eyes #0L; $17
Eye Shadow #139; $19
Eye Shadow #127; $19
(See color palette at right)
DAKOTA FANNING AS CHERIE CURRIE: THE COLORFUL SMOKY EYE
1. Apply Star Powder #922 (Copper) onto the eyelid, all the way to the inner corner, stopping just shy of the outer corner.
2. Using Aqua Eyes #3L (Iridescent Navy Blue), line the lash line on the top and bottom lids. Robin’s tip: for the perfect smoky eye, the trick is to apply the eyeliner as close to the lash line as possible.
3. Smudge the eyeliner on the top and bottom of the eye using a smudging brush to create a more fluid, blended look.
4. Apply Eye Shadow #81(Metallic Navy Blue Iridescent) to the outer corner of the eye using a small flat brush, then drag the shadow into the crease very lightly.
5. Tap the brush to remove any excess shadow and then blend the blue shadow line ever so slightly. Using the same brush, apply the blue eye shadow onto the bottom lash line to blend it out and create a smoky effect.
6. Curl the lashes, then apply Smoky Lash Mascara going up and out to accentuate and elongate the eye.
Aqua Smoky Lash; $22
Aqua Eyes #3L; $17
Eye Shadow #81; $19
Star Powder #922; $19
(See color palette at left)
To celebrate the films release this Friday, MAKE UP FOR EVER has partnered with ‘The Runaways’ for a sweepstakes where one winner and their guest will be invited to party like a rock star at the New York City premiere of the film on March 17. For more info, visit www.makeupforeverusa.com/runaways.
Copyright 2014 by NBC Universal, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.