Glam Slam: Oh You 'Skinnygirl'
Bravo’s “Real Housewives of New York” star and chef Bethenny Frankel revealed how to make healthier versions of guacamole (Mock-a-mole!) and Mac & Cheese on Access Hollywood. Oh, man, these dishes looked so good, I wanted to know more!
So we asked… and Bethenny dished - giving us plenty of healthy tips. (She should know - she’s the best-selling author of “Naturally Thin: Unleash Your Skinnygirl and Free Yourself from a Lifetime of Dieting” available at www.bethenny.com)
1. Swap soybeans or peas for avocado in guacamole to make a leaner, healthier version. The former adds protein and fiber and the latter adds fiber.
2. Instead of sugar, use healthier substitutes such as turbinado sugar, “sugar in the raw, honey, maple syrup or agave nectar”.
3. Bethenny, creator of the “Skinnygirl Margarita,“suggests using the “Skinnygirl Fix-ology” formula for lower calorie drinks. Take a clear liquor (it can be flavored) add soda and do just a splash of the sweet component, whether it be a liquor, a juice or a splash of frozen sweet drink, etc.
4. Use whole grain bread for lobster rolls, hot dog or hamburger buns. Use low fat mayonnaise mixed with a bit of Dijon in place of mayonnaise in recipes. Buy whole grain baked tortilla chips and/or pita chips to combine with dips.
5. Doctor-up store bought dips such as hummus by topping them with fresh shredded basil and toasted pine nuts. Add fresh parsley to olive tapenade, fresh lime juice to guacamole and shredded cilantro to fresh salsa. “A little fresh love makes something your own,” says Bethenny.
6. Make your own fruit sorbet cups. Cut lemons or oranges in half; cut the tops and bottoms off to create a stable base, scoop out the middle and fill with store-bought sorbet. Store in the freezer until serving.
7. Use an ice cream scoop and fill cookies (she suggests Bethenny Bakes Healthy Cookies) with low fat ice cream or yogurt, wrap in plastic and store in freezer. Serve on platters.
8. Use skewers and layer fruit in the colors of the rainbow. Serve on a bed of blueberries to make eating a fruit plate free and easy at a party.
Copyright 2014 by NBC Universal, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.