Glam Slam: Sneak Peek At Fall!
First Published: July 21, 2010 1:17 PM EDT Credit: Getty Images
LOS ANGELES, Calif. -- The temps have easily been in the ‘90s for the past few days here and yet, when I was shopping the other day, I couldn’t help but look at all the Fall clothes trickling into the stores.
Sweaters, jackets, boots. It may be scorching, but it’s too tempting not to at least peek at the new clothes!
Not ready for Fall shopping yet? You can still be in the know about all the Fall trends, while you relax in your nice air conditioned home thanks to the August issue of People StyleWatch and Deputy Editor Joyce Chang, who give us a sneak peak at Fall Fashion.
1. MILITARY Get ready for a fashion military takeover this Fall! This Summer it was all about the skinny cargo pant. Changing seasons — a key piece is the utility jacket with lots of zippers, snaps and pockets. It’s a great layer to wear with a T-shirt when the weather is warmer or over a furry vest or cozy sweater when things get cooler. A looser, slouchier shape is more casual and good for weekends. Something more fitted, worn with skinny jeans and heels can definitely work for a night out. Celebs are already all over this trend – Beyonce has been spotted in full-on military wearing skinny cargos in camo AND a polished army jacket from Balmain. Reese Witherspoon, Rachel Bilson and January Jones have all been sporting their jackets too.
One fun way to play with the trend is through accessories. Try a camo handbag or a high heel in an army green with buckles and tough details.
2. FULL MINIS The short hemline is still going strong. But instead of the super-tight bandage styles and straight silhouettes we’ve been seeing so much of lately, flouncy styles with ruffles and pleats are having a moment. The vibe is flirty without being overly sexy. Try them in solid neutrals, jewel tones, prints or even lace. Young Hollywood is all about the look – from Lauren Conrad to Demi Lovato to Kate Hudson. (Money-saving idea: you can transition your full Summer minis into Fall by pairing them with tights!)
3. CAMEL It’s a classic neutral that’s really having a modern moment. There are tons of timelessly elegant options – the great cashmere cardigan, the perfect coat, a flattering sheath dress – but we’re also seeing new twists. Go for a short skirt with a fun buckle or zipper detail, a cropped sweater or a ladylike silhouette that picks up this season’s ‘Mad Men’ inspired retro-moment. Whatever you choose, camel is such a luxe color, you’ll always look chic and appropriate. Hollywood ladies like Gwyneth Paltrow, Naomi Watts, Eva Mendes and Victoria Beckham are stepping out in perfectly pulled-together pieces.
4. LACE-UP BOOTIES The latest update on the bootie is the lace-up style. It has a vintage-y feel but when you pair it with a short skirt and tights or skinny jeans, it feels totally of-the-moment and surprisingly sexy! It really elongates the leg and can be very slimming. Stars rocking the look: Sarah Jessica Parker, Diane Kruger, Alexa Chung and Nicky Hilton among others.
5. MESSENGER BAGS The cross-body bag trend is in full-effect! But before you bust out your old school bag, this season’s messenger bag is the fashion version! Look for slouchy black leather with gold hardware accents like zippers, buckles and studs. Texture is cool too – a skin or pebbled leather. The style is relaxed and the more you wear yours, the better and more worn-in it will look. It’s got the blessing of the Queen of Cool-- Kate Moss – who’s been wearing hers out and about!
The People StyleWatch issue is on sale now, for more info go to www.peoplestylewatch.com.
Copyright 2013 by NBC Universal, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.