Glam Slam: The Friday Five - Fall Fashion Tips For Your Body Type
First Published: November 4, 2011 12:52 PM EDT Credit: Getty Images
LOS ANGELES, Calif. -- Cold weather fashions can be tricky to pull off…all those layers can add unwanted bulk!
Tyra Banks’ typeF.com website is all about celebrating unique and personalized styles and the site’s Fashion Expert Lilliana Vazquez, gives tips for how to dress five body types — without looking like the Michelin man.
1) Athletic Figures: Jada Pinkett Smith and Jennifer Lawrence are two examples of athletic body types. With broader shoulders and narrow hips, athletic builds should opt for more feminine silhouettes that accentuate the waist. Look for winter coats that cinch and have belts. Sweater dresses are also perfect for this body type.
2) Bottom Curvy: The most famous of the bottom curvy women are of course Kim Kardashian and Jennifer Lopez. As you see on the red carpet, both of these women tend to accentuate their “assets” rather than hide them. Winter outfitting options include mid-length flair dresses and skirts (which are popular this season), form-fitting jeans with fitted sweaters and form-fitting column or sheath dresses.
3) Full-Figured/Curvy: Our favorite full-figured celebrity is of course Melissa McCarthy. As exemplified by her red carpet looks, Melissa’s flowy skirts with V line tops are always flattering. Dresses and outfits should accentuate rather than hide the curves. Try tunics cinched at the waist, and winter maxi dresses.
4) Hourglass: We often see hourglass figures like Sofia Vergara wearing sexy dresses for the red carpet. Her new line from Kmart offers some ideas: Cropped and leather jackets, long sleeve jerseys with plunging necklines and of course figure-flattering sheath dresses. With a figure like that, you might as well flaunt it with a few body-hugging jersey dresses as well.
5) Petite: Nicole Richie and Rachel Bilson are both petite stars who are also very fashion forward. No matter the style, from BoHo to glamorous, they always seem to dress in body lengthening silhouettes. Skinny jeans with boots and cropped jackets with a scarf are some of their favorites. They’re also often seen in maxi dresses, minis, vests and knee-high boots.
For more figure-flattering fall fashion tips, check out typeF.com’s Fall for You guide to looking fabulous this season.
Copyright 2013 by NBC Universal, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.