Glam Slam: The Friday Five — Globes Fashion Trends
First Published: January 15, 2010 3:30 PM EST Credit: WireImage
LOS ANGELES, Calif. -- Jennifer Aniston, Halle Berry, Kate Hudson, Sandra Bullock, Nicole Kidman, Reese Witherspoon. A fashionista’s dream team and we’re about to get a massive, massive, massive dose of glamour this weekend at The 67th Annual Golden Globes!
“You never really know what people will wear, you never do. They could all walk out in black caftans for all we know, it’s always a surprise!”
That’s InStyle Fashion Director Hal Rubenstein. Hal says it’s hard to make predictions, but he definitely has ideas on five cool things we could see Sunday at the Globes as well as a few opinions on what people should wear.
1. SHORT IS SWEET “Young actresses should wear short,” Hal says. “I think it’s odd for young girls to wear these big dresses. If you’re on the cast of ‘Glee’ or Carey Mulligan, what could be cooler than wearing a sexy short dress? You’re only young once, only got skin like that once, show it off!”
2. COLOR, OF COURSE “But unexpected color,” Hal says. “Instead of black, white, pink or red, look for deep fuchsia or really dark teal. You might also see prints because there are so many extraordinary prints this season thanks to advances in technology. Someone with a fun, bold personality like Kate Hudson can pull off a print beautifully.”
3. GROWN UP GLAMOUR “We will still see ‘The Big Dress’ on someone like Penelope Cruz. But also look out for dresses that are closer to the body, less ball gown-ish.” Hal loves that evening wear right now is “designed for grownups and by that I mean anyone over the age of 12 and more than a size zero! Women have curves and evening wear is more sensual, more womanly,” which is perfect when nominees include actresses Meryl Streep and Sandra Bullock.
4. RED CARPET RISK TAKERS “No one wanted to be destroyed in tabloids the next day and people got safe. But every year, the range of looks gets wider and wider and there are more and more possibilities. With more choices, expect less of a cookie cutter look. Look for dresses that have incredible embroidery, layering, texturing of the fabric and prints.”
5. NOT YOUR USUAL BLING “I think jewelry will be more exotic. Some people will wear classic jewelry from the big houses, but there are so many other amazing pieces out there.” Hal says look for mixed stones and jewelry with a more romantic flair, as well as jewels with Indian influences and Eastern exoticism.
The Golden Globes air on NBC Sunday night at 8pm EST.
FASHION FYI: CLICK HERE to check out Access Hollywood and On 3 Productions’ great giveaways of celeb swag from our 4th Annual “Stuff You Must” gifting lounge benefiting Lollipop Theater Network and Best Buddies. Now you can get some of the great items from Beauty 360, Guess by Marciano, Badgley Mischka and more!
Copyright 2013 by NBC Universal, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.