Glam Slam: The Friday Five - Recessionista Edition
First Published: March 6, 2009 12:04 PM EST Credit: Composed by AccessHollywood.com
LOS ANGELES, Calif. -- Thanks to these dire economic times, most of us don’t have extra cash these days. And as far as I’m concerned, that puts a major damper on one of my favorite activities: shopping!
But if First Lady Michelle Obama can wear J. Crew when she has the world’s top (and most expensive!) designers at her disposable, then surely there’s ways for the rest of us to weather this storm stylishly. Here are my top five recessionista survival techniques!
1) Designers Deals -- Target is known for its designer collaborations (Thakoon and Sigerson Morrison to name a few) and as I said the other day, they just launched a new line by Alexander McQueen. Also in Target right now, a line of fun and fabulous jewels by hot jewelry designer Erickson Beamon (one of the first lady’s favorites)! Kohl’s has its staple, Simply Vera by Vera Wang and right now, JC Penney’s got I Heart Ronson, a collection by Blake Lively’s favorite Charlotte Ronson.
2) Cheap Chic Boutiques — Where would I be without Forever 21 and H&M? Both can always be counted on for offering the trendiest of clothes at prices that won’t break the bank! Dying to update your Spring wardrobe with a pop of bright pink? Chances are you can find something under 20 bucks! That way you can sport the latest looks without feeling like you are splurging on one-season wonders.
3) Shop Your Closet -- If you do a thorough search of your closet, I can almost guarantee you’ll find clothes that you’ve bought but never worn! It’s an inevitable rule of retail therapy. Pull those babies out, cut off the tags and strut your stuff! Yes, you will know the truth (it’s been there since 2005) but it will be new to your friends, your co-workers and probably even your significant other.
4) Buy on Sale — I know this sounds like a no-brainer, but I used to be the girl who went to a big department store blowout and wound up buying items at full price. Well, no more! Since stores are offering so much on sale these days, I have made a vow to not buy anything unless it’s marked down. If it’s a department store, it has to be on sale and coupon friendly. Double or nothing!!
5) Window Shop -- This might sound like cruel and unusual punishment, but I promise it’s fun. For me, shopping is a social activity that I’m not willing to give up. So grab a friend and hit the stores where you know you can’t afford something and ooh and aah over those gorgeous designer shoes. And since a girl’s gotta dream… make a mental note of what you’re coveting. You can long for the days when you WILL be able to afford it!!
Copyright 2013 by NBC Universal, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.