Glam Slam: The Friday Five — Smart Tips To Kick Off A Stylish 2011!
First Published: December 17, 2010 3:02 PM EST Credit: WireImage
LOS ANGELES, Calif. -- We’re right in the middle of all the holiday mayhem… shopping for gifts, parties and family get-togethers. Phew! It’s all a whirlwind!
So I always look forward to reorganizing and regrouping at the beginning of every new year.
InStyle’s January issue inspires readers to get more in 2011 with tips on making life easier, calmer, healthier and happier! Here are some ideas to help you get started.
1. TIE ONE ON Transform any look with a scarf. (Like Jennifer Aniston!) Long and skinny: Loop once around your neck and let the ends hang loose. Wide rectangle: Wrap multiple times and tuck in the ends. Rectangle: Throw over your shoulders and knot the ends- the weight of the knots will keep the scarf in place. Classic Square: Tie cowboy-style and let points hang.
2. CREATE THE SMOOTHEST MORNING ROUTINE EVER Don’t agonize over what to wear anymore. Whenever you come home with a new item, try it out with various combos, then jot down the winners in a journal. Or, shoot a Smartphone photo of yourself in the outfits and store a visual portfolio on your computer. Then refer back to these greatest-hits files whenever you’re feeling sartorially stumped.
3. TAKE THE NEXT STEP IN BASICS Building blocks don’t always have to be boring old black and white. These easy-to-wear ideas offer a little something extra. Embrace prints: A geometric pattern flatters, (just look at Kim Kardashian!) especially in an easy silhouette like a loosely fitted dress with a defined waist. Go long: Try a cardigan that falls to the hip. You’ll see the (flattering!) difference. Can’t miss with color: A bold hue like purple is often as versatile as classic cream.
4. WEAR EVERYTHING WITH CONFIDENCE The trick? Having the right lingerie underneath. A seamless slip gives you a smooth, opaque layer so you can rock that sheer dress without getting weird looks. You need a bra that multitasks. Choose one with convertible straps- wear it halter or crisscross style. Find a camisole with flair for those times it peeks out of your blouse.
5. MAKE THE DRY CLEANER MISS YOU Get the most out of your apparel between cleanings: As soon as you get home, hang your clothes on the back of a chair or from a hook- not in the closet, where there is less oxygen. This allows clothes to air out. If you notice any fresh perspiration marks on a garment, blot with a dry paper towel to reduce the risk of discoloration. Then, let it breathe for an hour or two and inspect under a bright light to determine if you can store it away for next time. When you’re ready to wear it again, freshen in the dryer on the cool setting and let it tumble for 10 to 15 minutes.
For more ideas, the January issue, which is InStyle’s 200th issue, is on sale now. And you can check out InStyle’s 16-year cover archive come to life, here!
Copyright 2013 by NBC Universal, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.