Glam Slam: The Friday Five — Swimsuit Shape Up!
First Published: June 18, 2010 2:01 PM EDT Credit: FilmMagic
LOS ANGELES, Calif. -- Is it too late? Too late to get a killer bikini body like Jennifer Aniston, Kim Kardashian or Denise Richards? I will never look quite like that, but what nature didn’t give you, you can always earn the old fashioned way… by hard work! Make every workout count and you will see results!
Keith Irace, the Regional Group Fitness Manager of Equinox Fitness and Spa (where celebs Carrie Underwood, Nicole Kidman, Bradley Cooper, and Hilary Swank have all been spotted) shares ways to rev up your summertime workout!
1. YOUR BEACH BODY IS MORE THAN YOUR ABS The most common mistake I see when people “get ready for Summer” is that they do excessive amounts of crunches instead of working their entire body for core strength. Some crunches are OK, but think bigger, more dynamic core work like diagonal chops with a medicine ball. In order to perform this exercise, create a softness in your hips, knees and ankles, begin with the med ball above your right shoulder. Move the ball with power to just below your left hip twisting at the mid-back and torso and engaging your abs to control the movement. Pivot on your right toe to avoid twisting the knee and stay light on your feet. Don’t be afraid to give the move some power and be sure to repeat on the other side! Dynamic moves involve more muscle groups, burn more calories and contribute more to your overall shape and proportion. Great looking abs are a result of great overall fitness, not just crunches.
2. WETTER IS BETTER I know you’ve heard it before, but staying hydrated during hot Summer weather is key to looking good for two important reasons: One is that hydrated skin looks better. It just does. Two, most states of dehydration result in fatigue or muscle weakness — your body may not function as well during your workout, resulting in less-than-effective workouts. Water makes up about 60% of your body weight. Your body needs at least 8 servings of 8 oz each to simply replenish each day’s loss. Factor in a sweaty workout and up your water intake accordingly.
3. UP YOUR CARDIO AND MULTI-TASK DURING YOUR WORKOUT With today’s technology there is so much you can get done WHILE working out, especially doing cardio. A little extra cardio never hurt anyone’s beach-ready body. Instead of reading your newspaper at the kitchen table, make it your routine to read the newspaper on an elliptical trainer or stationary bike every day. Download the podcast of your favorite radio program and listen while you power walk in your local park. Or even roll out your yoga mat for lower body and core work during a show like ‘So You Think You Can Dance’ every single time you watch it. By the time they announce a winner, you’ll be ready to borrow one of those costumes to show off your shapely new abs and legs.
4. YOU GOTTA MAKE CHANGE TO GET CHANGE In order to truly heat up your Summer workout you must commit to one new thing, one change in your workout. The human body’s ability to adapt is amazing and although you may continue to get results by doing the same thing — you may see diminishing returns as your body gets good at something. The best way to see change in your body is to throw something new at it. If you take SPINNING classes 4 times per week, swap one class with something new like boxing or Pilates. Try something you’ve been curious about but never gave a shot. It can reinvigorate your workout and your body. An added bonus is that a new form of exercise can enhance your performance in the formats in which you already participate.
5. GIVE ME 10 Add 10 minutes to every workout. It sounds simple because it is. Ten extra minutes of any activity at all… from cardio to core training… to a nice deep stretch. Every time. Over the Summer months those 10 minutes add up and you will see results. You may have to get up 10 minutes earlier in the morning, but what’s better than getting up early when the weather’s great? For more info, head to www.equinox.com.
Once you do hit the beach, make sure you have a good read! Former Page Six columnist Paula Froelich’s entertaining book ‘Mercury In Retrograde’ is now available in paperback.
Copyright 2013 by NBC Universal, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.