Healthy Hollywood: 5 Tips To Wipe Sugar Out Of Your Diet
Healthy Hollywood is ready to say goodbye to sugar. After a festive Fourth of July weekend that included lots of calorie-rich food and wine, it’s time to reset and get my body back on track.
So the timing couldn’t be better to get invited to join Dr. Frank Lipman and his wellness coaches for their sugar detox. Their two-week cleanse starts this Sunday. I am totally game!
Dr. Lipman, who founded the Eleven Eleven Wellness Center in New York City and counts Gwyneth Paltrow and Kyra Sedgwick as his clients, declares “sugar is the devil.”
“We reach for it when we are stressed, when we’re seeking comfort, when we’re bored, and it sneaks into our lives in increasing quantities,” notes Dr. Lipman.
Americans eat 152 pounds of sugar per person per year. And, it’s highly addictive; some studies show it is eight times as addictive as cocaine. Yikes!
“Sugar can also have dramatic impact on your mind and energy – brain fog, depression, anxiety and fatigue are all symptoms that can clear up when sugar is cut from the diet,” adds Dr. Lipman’s Be Well Heath Coach Jennifer Mielke to Healthy Hollywood.
On the sugar detox, I will drink three shakes a day and have a light dinner and lunch of fresh, wholesome foods. Alcohol, caffeine, gluten, sugar, and dairy are few of the foods which are off-limits.
I will receive daily e-mails loaded with practical tips, coaching calls and I can join a private Facebook community to share recipes. Jennifer tells me being part of a group challenge contributes to success.
“Doing a cleanse in a group can definitely impact a person’s success rate – they have somewhere to turn when they’re struggling, and it’s empowering to be able to offer support to others as well. Plus, with all this added information throughout the process of the cleanse, they’re really well-equipped to carry their healthy changes forward after the cleanse,” notes Jennifer.
Jennifer shared some tips for getting started and also succeeding the sugar detox:
- Put down that cookie! There’s no need to wait for the official start date of the cleanse to start making better choices.
- If you put sugar in tea/coffee, stop adding it, and you’ll likely notice your taste for sweet things decreases immediately.
- Make water your beverage of choice.
- Stare your craving in the face, take a few deep breathes, and deny the urge. Take a quick walk around your office. Have a 2-minute chat with a friend. Drink a cup of mint tea. Find something else that gives you a healthy satisfaction, and enjoy it!
- Clean the sugary snacks out from your personal space (home, desk drawer, etc).
If you want to join Dr. Lipman’s group sugar detox, check out www.bewellbydrfranklipman.com .
-- Terri MacLeod
Copyright 2014 by NBC Universal, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.