Healthy Hollywood: Ask Keri Glassman — What’s The Quickest Healthy Way To Lose Five Pounds?
First Published: May 17, 2012 3:29 PM EDT Credit: Access Hollywood
NEW YORK, N.Y. -- Nutritionist Keri Glassman, who regularly shares her expertise on Access Hollywood and Access Hollywood Live, is answering your nutrition, diet, and health questions.
Want to know which foods to curb sugar cravings? Or, what should you eat before a workout? Ask Keri anything!
Keri will choose one great question a week to be answered Thursday in our Healthy Hollywood column.
To submit questions for Keri, click HERE!
This week’s question — Jessica Martin asks: What’s the quickest healthy way to lose five pounds for Memorial Day weekend?
We all hear about celebrities dropping dress sizes in no time, or losing their baby weight in the blink of an eye, and in an effort to mimic their speedy results you may have even tried their rumored fad diets or pills. But, the reality is, the ideal way to lose weight and keep it off is not fast. It is through making changes that you can incorporate into your life for the long haul.
With that said, we all get faced with situations where we just want to lose at least a few pounds fast to fit into a dress or feel more confident on beach day. I am so happy you asked for a quick HEALTHY way to lose - your attitude is in the right place. Here are a few tips to help you lose weight (and get rid of bloat) without slowing your metabolism down or picking up any unhealthy habits.
First, starting four days before the “Big Day” you’ll want to get rid of the following:
- All refined and processed carbs from the obvious candy, cakes, and cookies, as well as from pasta, bread and rice and even healthy whole grains like quinoa
- Anything loaded with sodium, which means no packaged foods and certainly NO salt shake
- All alcohol
So what should you eat? Here is a plan of attack for you:
- Eat five times a day. You don’t want to go too low calorie and space out your meals as such that you end up downing a whole pizza by the eve of day two.
- Focus on lean protein (fish, white meat chicken, turkey, eggs etc.) veggies (particularly green veggies), and small portions of healthy fat through the day (nuts, seeds, avocado, olive oil)
- Drink up (64 ounces of water and two cups of green tea) to help flush out salt and keep you feeling full
- Add herbs and spices everywhere you can
3 scrambled eggs (1 yolk)
Spinach salad with grilled chicken
Large arugula salad with red peppers, cherry tomatoes (dress with olive oil, lemon and vinegar)
Steamed or roasted asparagus
Grilled salmon with dill
1 cup berries
--Terri MacLeod & Keri Glassman
Copyright 2013 by NBC Universal, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.