The countdown is on for TV’s most glam night – The Emmy Awards. You can bet nominees like Sofia Vergara, Tina Fey, and Julie Bowen are already in a style frenzy hunting for the right dress and working hard to whip their bodies into red carpet shape.
Nutritionist Peggy Kotsopoulos, author of “Must Have Been Something I Ate” shares with Healthy Hollywood her picks for the best superfoods stars (and us regular folks) need to add to their diet right now!
1. Extra Virgin Olive Oil – Here’s a trick for bidding adieu to expensive moisturizer… say hello to extra virgin olive oil. This natural elixir is guaranteed to improve the look of hair and skin, exuding radiance. By using extra virgin olive oil topically on skin and hair, you can kiss fine lines goodbye and add luster to your locks. It’s naturally rich in squalane, which is a key ingredient in many store-bought skincare products. Squalane absorbs easily into the skin, keeping skin moist, restoring lost moisture.
2. Maca – From the anticipation of an Emmy award to just deciding what to wear to the ceremony can cause anxiety and excitement. Unfortunately, this can disrupt sleep and elevate Cortisol levels, causing more stress and, even worse, weight-gain. Maca is a Peruvian root vegetable that acts as an adaptogen, helping to increase your body’s resistance to stress. The result? More restful sleep, increased energy, and a decrease in belly fat! Maca also increases our body’s own DHEA – an anti-aging, anti-stress hormone that helps improve muscle tone and reduces body fat percentage, helping stars look sexy and hot.
3. Cucumber - The skin of a cucumber contains collagen-strengthening silica - a trace mineral essential for healthy skin. Silica strengthens connective tissues, muscles, hair and nails. It also improves the skin’s elasticity, helping to firm and tone. Cucumber’s rich water content helps to hydrate skin from the inside out, giving off that youthful ‘glow.’ Tip – juice the entire cucumber, dab with a cotton pad and smooth over face as a skin rejuvenating a toner.
4. Sea-buckthorn – Move over Botox - the tiny berry of the sea-buckthorn shrub has amazing anti-aging and skin rejuvenating benefits. It’s rich in antioxidants and essential fatty acids. It treats skin conditions, acne, wrinkles and wounds and has amazing skin restorative properties. It’s super rich in antioxidants and Vitamin C, which helps with collagen production and helps to prevent and treat wrinkles and firm up skin tone. People have been known to add a couple of drops of the oil to their daily skin care regime and smooth over their faces – or simply add it to their favorite smoothie for a natural facelift.
5. Green Tea - Green tea is much more than just a great sushi companion. Its health benefits stem from its high levels of the antioxidant polyphenol EGCG, with an antioxidant strength estimated to be 25 to 100 times more potent than both vitamins C and E – which contributes to its powerful anti-aging and skin-glowing benefits! The EGCG can also promote healthy and natural weight loss. Although not immediate, green tea has been shown to stimulate fat oxidation and boost caloric burn without increasing heart rate. Now that’s hot!
Peggy is a consultant on the holistic website, Vega. If you want a chance to win a ticket to LA on Emmy night and join the Vega team at their Emmy gift suiting suite, head to www.facebook.com/vegafanpage or check out more healthy tips at www.myvega.com
Copyright 2014 by NBC Universal, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.