Healthy Hollywood: Fab Food Friday – Breakfast Is For Champions!
“The Biggest Loser” trainer Bob Harper stopped by Access Hollywood Live to chat with Billy Bush and Kit Hoover about the importance of breakfast. Yup, we’ve heard it time and time again, it is the day’s most important meal, and those who take the time for breakfast tend to be slimmer.
But, less than half of Americans eat breakfast everyday! As a parent, it crushes me when my teenage daughter skimps breakfast because she’s got a fashion emergency (or some other teen drama) and heads to school with her tank half full! Never good for a cheery mood or sharp study skills.
Harper is teaming up with Quakers Oats to help Americans make over their morning routine. So, everyone can start the day in a healthy way! Here are Bob’s top 10 tips to kick off the day on the right track.
1.Back to Breakfast Basics. Eat a healthy breakfast, first and foremost. Breakfast sets the tone for the day.
2. Me, Myself, and I. Reprioritize your morning by putting yourself at the top of the list. Carve out some ‘me’ time in the morning to relax your mind and prepare yourself for the day ahead. Then, focus on everyone and everything else.
3. Step Away From the Phone. Turn off or leave your phone in another room while getting ready in the morning. Although you may think you’re multitasking, you’re actually causing yourself stress. Instead, relax by getting ready by listening to a favorite CD or radio station.
4. Stretch It Out. Get in a little stretch time. The more flexible you are, the younger you will feel.
5. Wake Up and Walk. Take a 30-minute walk before the family wakes up. You will have more energy and feel better.
6. Relax a Little. Two to five minutes of quiet meditation is a great stress reliever.
7. H2O Before You Go. Drink water! The more hydrated you are, the better for hunger, digestion, and metabolism.
8. Add Whole Grains. Complement your breakfast with more whole grains to help get you to your next meal.
9. Dear Food Diary. Keep a food journal to be mindful of what you are eating.
10. Family Matters. Connect with your family. Spend a few minutes with your kids or significant other to talk about their day – it’ll help with their health and well being.
Bob and Quaker Oats are also launching a contest to find three Americans who need help with their morning routine. For more information, check out www.facebook.com/quaker.
Copyright 2014 by NBC Universal, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.