We all know that fruit is good for our bodies. Health-conscious celebs, like Cameron Diaz, Rosario Dawson and Heidi Klum, are often spotted munching on fruit on the go.
Experts suggest eating 5-a-day for optimal wellness. Summer is the perfect time to meet this good-for-you quota – mouth-watering berries, watermelon, and mangoes are all in season. So, no excuses!
Think outside the box, when it comes to your fruit – it’s not only good to eat, but fruit also has a variety of topical uses.
Alexis Wolfer, editor-in-chief of The Beauty Bean, shares with Healthy Hollywood her favorite summer fruits with beauty benefits inside & out!
5 Summer Fruits With Beauty Benefits Inside & Out:
1. Avocados. A lot of people don’t think of this as a fruit, but it is! And it beautifies too! Eat avocados for Vitamin E (a potent antioxidant that fights skin damage from the inside out and a circulation booster, which is essential for maintaining healthy skin, hair and nails), glutathione a powerful anti-aging antioxidant, and healthy fats (which actually allow your body to more easily absorb other beauty-boosting nutrients).
Use it topically… as an anti-aging and hydrating facial mask! Mix ½ mashed avocado with 1 tsp honey and apply evenly and leave on for 15 minutes before rinsing.
2. Strawberries. They’re one of the most anti-oxidant rich fruits, meaning that they’ll help protect your skin from environmental damage and reverse prior damage from the inside out!
Use it topically… to whiten your teeth! Their natural acids oxidize the stains from your teeth so eat up (or just rub them on your teeth) for an all-natural alternative to pricey products.
3. Oranges. This sweet, juicy fruit does more than just satisfy our sweet tooth. Rather, the Vitamin C packed citrus is also rich in phytonutrients and flavonoids that reduce inflammation and pack an antioxidant-rich punch.
Use it topically… as a toner! Mix equal parts of Saki (Japanese rice wine) and fresh squeezed orange juice and apply as you would a toner. The Saki will help to detoxify and even skin tone, while the ascorbic acid in the juice will help cleanse and the vitamin C will leave your skin glowing.
4. Cantaloupe. This orange melon is not only high in water content (essential for keeping your skin plump and youthful), but also it’s rich in vitamin A, which both has anti-aging benefits and works to keep your skin glowing. Plus, it’s high in beta-carotene, which protects your eyes from cataracts!
Use it topically… as a facial mask! Mix ½ cup mashed cantaloupe (drained, so not too watery) with ½ cup full-fat, plain Greek yogurt for an exfoliating and anti-aging facial mask! Leave it on for 15 minutes before rinsing!
5. Cherries. They not only help protect your body from the damaging effects of the sun, but also are high in melatonin, which will help you sleep better (hello, beauty sleep!)
Use it topically… as a facial scrub! Blend 8 pitted cherries with 3 Tbsp honey and 3 Tbsp raw oats. Rub on face and neck in gentle, upward, circular motions for a gentle exfoliating scrub that will reveal more youthful, moisturized skin!
For more healthy tips, head to www.thebeautybean.com.
Copyright 2015 by NBC Universal, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.