James Franco Declares ‘Social Media Is Over’
First Published: April 4, 2011 6:13 PM EDT Credit: Getty Images
LOS ANGELES, Calif. -- According to James Franco, Twitter is #done!
Despite being an avid Tweeter in his run up to hosting the Academy Awards, the Oscar nominee is decreeing the death of social media.
“Social media is over. Still up there. Going down. You heard it here first,” James, whose Twitter account has been shut down, told Politico last week at a benefit event for creative writing nonprofit 826’s Washington D.C. chapter.
“My thought was, ‘This is my Twitter. I can do whatever I want.’ But certain companies I work with contacted me about what I was saying,” James explained.
At the event – which raised money for the writing education organization co-founded by writer Dave Eggers – James encouraged the young writers in attendance to be diligent with their work.
“I feel like I didn’t get a ton of support in school in creative subjects, and I went to a great public school. As a kid, I would have grown from that,” the actor said. “If you want to write, make the time. We all have an hour or two a day that can be used for surfing Facebook or writing. No one is going to beg any new writer to write.”
The 32-year-old might have left the Twitter party, but Miley Cyrus is back for round two! After leaving the social media site in 2009, the young star has returned via her upcoming world tour’s account.
“Yo guys! Its MC! Thank you so much for my KCA! =] PS I am taking over the Gypsy Heart twitter! Gotta keep ya posted on tour <3 come see me!,” she Tweeted on Sunday, adding, “Goal 1. Get 1,000,000 followers!”
Copyright 2013 by NBC Universal, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.