Jared Leto Says Thirty Seconds To Mars Left 'Devastated' Over Festival Tragedy

Actor and Thirty Seconds to Mars frontman Jared Leto said his band was left devastated after a storm hit a festival his group was set to play at, and knocked down several stages, causing numerous injuries and at least four reported deaths.

“We are absolutely devastated that this celebration ended in tragedy,” Leto Tweeted on Thursday over the Pukkelpop festival storm tragedy in Belgium. “To those that were injured we are sending thoughts and prayers. Obviously under these horrible and dangerous circumstances, and out of respect for those who have passed, Thirty Seconds to Mars will not be playing. We love you all and hope tomorrow brings a better day.”

Earlier in the day, Leto urged fans to stay safe as a storm with high winds ripped through Hasselt, Belgium, where the festival was taking place.

“CRAZY STORM AT PUKKELPOP IN BELGIUM - NOT SURE WE WILL BE ABLE TO GO ON STAGE - STAYED TUNED. SAFETY FIRST,” Leto Tweeted on Thursday evening as the storm near Hasselt, Belgium took shape, but things quickly got worse.

“FOUR STAGES DOWN - STILL RAINING + THUNDER IF YOU ARE HERE PLEASE BE SAFE,” he added just half an hour later.

“SERIOUS INJURIES AT THE FESTIVAL. MORE BAD WEATHER POSS HEADING THIS WAY. PLEASE TAKE CARE AND CAUTION,” he added not long after.

On Thursday, the BBC reported that at least four people had been killed at the music festival after the storm hit the event.

Strong winds and rain hit the festival at around 6:15 PM local time, which lead to the collapse of several structures, including stages. Trees were also knocked down in the storm, which caused additional damage, BNO News reported.

The news comes just days after high winds knocked down a stage killing five at the Indiana State Fair, just before a performance was set to take place by country band Sugarland.

Other acts that were set to play the Belgium music festival included Panic At The Disco, Rise Against, Mark Ronson & The Business International, Good Charlotte and Fleet Foxes.

Before the storm hit full force, Spencer Smith of Panic, Tweeted, “Everyone at pukkelpop, first of all, we hope you are safe. We will play if they let us, but it’s not our call. We’ll keep U posted –Spencer”

All events have since been canceled at Pukkelpop.

Copyright 2014 by NBC Universal, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.