J.J. Abrams To Direct Stars Wars: Episode VII (Reports)
First Published: January 24, 2013 6:44 PM EST Credit: Getty Images
LOS ANGELES, Calif. -- One man at the helm of both “Star Wars” and “Star Trek”? It appears so!
“Star Trek Into Darkness” director J.J. Abrams has been chosen to direct “Star Wars: Episode VII,” according to reports by Deadline and The Wrap, the latter of which was first to report the news.
“It’s a done deal with J.J.,” a source told Deadline.
“Argo” director Ben Affleck was also in the running for the prestigious gig, the website reported.
Back in November, Abrams told Hollywood Life he thought he may be too personally invested in the “Star Wars” world to tackle directing “Episode VII,” as the six-part series is one of his favorites “of all time.”
“I frankly feel that – I almost feel that, in a weird way, the opportunity for whomever it is to direct that movie, it comes with the burden of being that kind of iconic movie and series,” he told the website at the time. “I was never a big ‘Star Trek’ fan growing up, so for me, working on ‘Star Trek’ didn’t have any of that, you know, almost fatal sacrilege.
Adding, “I am looking forward more than anyone to the next iterations of ‘Star Wars’, but I believe I will be going as a paying moviegoer!”
As previously reported on AccessHollywood.com, Michael Arndt, who penned Disney-Pixar’s “Toy Story 3,” has been tapped to write the screenplay for the next installment of the “Star Wars” franchise, Lucasfilm confirmed back in November.
Arndt, whose screenplay for 2006’s “Little Miss Sunshine” earned him an Academy Award, also wrote the highly anticipated “Hunger Games” sequel, “Catching Fire” (currently in production).
“Star Wars: Episode VII” is slated for release in 2015.
Copyright 2013 by NBC Universal, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.