Judge Drops Case Over Matthew McConaughey Surf Scuffle
First Published: July 3, 2010 12:07 PM EDT Credit: FilmMagic
LOS ANGELES, Calif. -- A judge has dropped charges against two surfers accused of attacking a celebrity photographer shooting photos of Matthew McConaughey on a Malibu beach.
Los Angeles County district attorney’s spokeswoman Sandi Gibbons says the charges were dismissed Friday after prosecutors decided against starting a third trial against the surfers. A jury deadlocked last month on the misdemeanor battery case against Skylar Peak and Philip Hildebrand.
Peak and Hildebrand were accused of confronting several paparazzi who showed up to shoot photos of the “Fool’s Gold” star on a Malibu beach two years ago.
Peak’s attorney, Harland Braun, said the case was poorly investigated and never should have been filed. He said paparazzi video of the fight had been manipulated to implicate the surfers.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.