Kal Penn On Leaving The White House For More ‘Harold & Kumar’
First Published: May 1, 2010 1:44 PM EDT Credit: Getty Images
LOS ANGELES, Calif. -- Kal Penn says his return to Hollywood won’t last for long.
The star, who left TV’s “House” to join President Barack Obama’s White House staff, only to sign on for a third installment of his “Harold & Kumar” film franchise earlier this year, told New York Magazine’s Vulture blog that he was hoping to come back to politics after the stoner comedy finishes shooting.
“It’s a seven-week shoot,” he explained. “I signed a piece of paper. It’s Time Warner, I made a commitment and they said they’re filming now. I thought, ‘Come on, guys, can’t you give me a few more years?’”
The star added that it may indeed be a few more years after the film arrives before fans see him on screen again.
“I’m hoping to come back to this. It may not be in the White House. Maybe four or eight years after that I’ll go back to movies,” he said. “But I don’t want to put a definite date on it.”
Kal’s stint in Washington, D.C. hasn’t come without drama for the comic — as previously reported on AccessHollywood.com, he was robbed at gunpoint in the city late one night nearly two weeks ago.
“A Very Harold & Kumar Christmas,” the follow-up to 2008’s “Harold & Kumar Escape From Guantanamo Bay,” is expected in theaters for the 2011 holiday season.
Copyright 2013 by NBC Universal, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.