Katie Holmes Heading Back To Broadway
Katie Holmes has decided what her first major acting project will be since announcing her divorce from Tom Cruise: Broadway.
The actress will star in Theresa Rebeck’s “Dead Accounts,” a five-character comedy that will be directed by three-time Tony Award winner Jack O’Brien, producers said Thursday.
All eyes were on Holmes’ next step as a single woman. Was it to be a film? Or more TV? Her decision to return to the physically strenuous eight-show-a-week life of a Broadway stage actress indicates a willingness to jump into the deep end. Her last appearance on Broadway, which also marked her debut, was in the 2008 production of “All My Sons.”
The new Rebeck play, which had its world premiere at the Cincinnati Playhouse this winter, will open on Broadway this fall at the Music Box Theatre. Dates and other casting news will be announced later.
“Dead Accounts” centers on a son who returns to his family’s home in Cincinnati flush with money, which raises red flags for his sister, who is living with their elderly parents. Holmes will play the sister role, a not-very-glamorous part for a woman who has lately landed on the cover of every tabloid.
Producers in a statement said the comedy “tackles the timely issues of corporate greed, small town values and whether or not your family will always welcome you back.”
Holmes’ announcement comes on the heels of word earlier this month that she and her soon-to-be-former husband had reached a divorce agreement. She and Cruise were married in Italy in 2006 and they have a 6-year-old daughter, Suri.
Rebeck, who was a driving force in the first season of NBC’s “Smash,” has written several plays, including the recent Broadway hits “Seminar” and “Mauritius.”
Copyright 2014 by Associated Press. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.