A Bahamian court has set a retrial date in the case of two men accused of conspiring to extort millions from John Travolta in the wake of his son’s death.
Attorney Michael Perkins told Access Hollywood the retrial date has been set for September 6.
“It is our understanding that the Bahamian court has set the new trial for September 6th, 2010,” Perkins, Travolta’s lead counsel, said in an exclusive statement to Access. “The Travolta family remains committed to full cooperation with all law enforcement and prosecution authorities in both the Bahamas and the United States. No further comment is appropriate at this time in as much as Mr. Travolta and members of his staff remain as witnesses in these pending criminal proceedings.”
As previously reported on AccessHollywood.com, the previous case ended in a mistrial after a Bahamas government official announced the acquittal of Tarino Lightbourne and Pleasant Bridgewater before jury deliberations were finished.
Last fall, Travolta appeared in a Bahamas court to testify against the two men, who were accused of extortion following the death of the actor’s son, Jett, during a Bahamas vacation at the beginning of 2009. Lightbourne is a paramedic who cared for Jett; Bridgewater is his lawyer. The pair pleaded not guilty to the charges, which include the allegation that they attempted to gain $25 million from Travolta.
Copyright 2014 by NBC Universal, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.