Mad Men’s Final Season To Be Split In Two
First Published: September 17, 2013 9:18 PM EDT Credit: AMC
-- “Mad Men” is getting an extension.
The show’s final, seventh season, will be split into two halves, made up of seven episodes each. The first will air in spring 2014, and the final seven episodes will debut on AMC in the spring of 2015.
Previously, the show was expected to roll out one, 13-episode season. AMC added one more episode to the tally, allowing for the seven and seven split.
The first half of Season 7 will be called “The Beginning,” while the second is being dubbed, “The End of an Era.”
“This approach has worked well for many programs across multiple networks, and, most recently for us with ‘Breaking Bad’ which attracted nearly double the number of viewers to its second half premiere than had watched any previous episode,” Charlie Collier, AMC president, said in a statement. “We are determined to bring ‘Mad Men’ a similar showcase. In an era where high-end content is savored and analyzed, and catch-up time is used well to drive back to live events, we believe this is the best way to release the now 14 episodes than remain of this iconic series.”
Creator and executive producer Matthew Weiner said the two mini-seasons, would give the team behind the stylish drama time to tell a little more of Don Draper’s story.
“We plan to take advantage of this chance to have a more elaborate story told in two parts, which can resonate a little bit longer in the minds of our audience,” Weiner’s statement read. “The writers, cast and other artists welcome this unique manner of ending this unique experience.”
-- Jolie Lash
Copyright 2013 by NBC Universal, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.