As Maureen continues her quest to shed the pounds, Access enlisted the help of hot Aussie chef Curtis Stone to provide some delicious — yet healthy — recipes!
Watermelon and Mint Cocktails
3 cups ripe watermelon, cubed
Juice of 2 limes
¼ cup fresh mint leaves
4 ounces Brazilian rum (optional)
• Place the watermelon and lime juice in a blender and puree until smooth.
• Add the mint and puree just until mint is mixed thoroughly through the mixture.
• Fill four small glasses with ice and pour 1 ounce of rum into each glass.
• Fill each glass with the watermelon juice and serve immediately.
(98.5 calories per serving; 34.5 calories per serving without alcohol)
Serves 6 to 8
1 cup organic chickpeas
2 cups homemade chicken stock or low sodium chicken broth
½ clove garlic, chopped rough
1 small shallot, peeled and chopped rough
4 drops toasted sesame oil
Juice of 1 lemon or lime
½ teaspoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
2 tablespoons fresh chopped basil
• Soak the chickpeas over night in water.
• Rinse beans after soaking and simmer in a medium saucepot with the chicken stock for about 45 minutes to an hour or until tender.
• Remove chickpeas from heat and allow to cool.
• In the bowl of a food processor, blend the chickpeas with the garlic and shallot until they form a rough paste.
• Add the sesame oil, lemon juice, cumin and olive oil and continue blending, scraping the sides down if needed.
• Slowly drizzle in a little bit of the cooking liquid until a smooth texture is achieved, you will need a 3 to 4 ounces of the liquid to achieve this.
• Season to taste with salt and pepper and fold in the chopped herbs.
• Remove the hummus to a serving bowl and serve with vegetable spears or baked whole wheat pita chips.
(48.63 calories per serving)
Salad of Grilled Zucchini and Summer Squash with Avocado
1 zucchini, sliced length wise into 4 long pieces
1 yellow summer squash, sliced length wise into 4 long pieces
10 spears baby asparagus, woody stem ends trimmed
1 small ripe avocado (about 1 cup), cut into a medium dice
2 tablespoons good quality balsamic vinegar
2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
2 cups baby arugula
• Preheat a grill or grill pan over medium high heat.
• Season the zucchini, squash, and asparagus lightly with salt and pepper, and if desired brush lightly with a small amount of olive oil.
• Grill the zucchini and squash for about 2 to 3 minutes on each side, and the asparagus for about 2 minutes total, or until they are slightly charred and cooked through.
• Remove the vegetables from the grill to a cutting board.
• Cut the asparagus spears in half and cut the zucchini and squash on the bias into large bite size pieces.
• In a medium mixing bowl whisk half of the diced avocado with the balsamic vinegar, breaking up the avocado lightly to create a creamy texture.
• Slowly drizzle in the olive oil while whisking, then season to taste with salt and pepper.
• Toss the grilled vegetables in a large mixing bowl with the arugula and remaining avocado.
• Drizzle enough dressing over the salad to coat and toss gently to mix.
• Mound salad on a large serving platter and serve immediately.
(105 calories per serving)
Grilled and Spiced Chicken Breast
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
1 teaspoon coriander seeds
1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, each weighing 5 to 6 oz
• Preheat a grill or grill pan.
• Place a small sauté pan over medium high heat and toast each of the seeds separately for 1 to 2 minutes or until lightly browned and fragrant, then remove from pan to a mixing bowl to cool.
• Using a mortar and pestle or a spice grinder, grind the spices into a powder being sure to break up any large pieces of the seeds.
• On a clean work surface lay out several even layers of plastic wrap approximately 1 foot wide and place one chicken breast over the plastic.
• Cover the chicken with another piece of layered plastic and lightly pound the chicken breast with a meat mallet or meat tenderizer until the chicken breast is thinned out to about a ½ inch thickness, being careful not to rip or tear the chicken breast.
• Repeat with the second chicken breast.
• Lightly brush the grill with a little vegetable oil.
• Season each side of the chicken generously with the spice mix and reserve any remaining spice mix for a later use in an airtight container.
• Place the chicken breasts on the grill and cook for 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until cooked through.
• Remove the chicken from the grill to a cutting board to rest for 2 minutes.
• Slice each breast on an angle into 6 even pieces and serve with the grilled zucchini and summer squash salad.
(105.5 calories per serving)
- Total calories for the food: 259.13
- Total calories for the food and watermelon cocktail (w/alcohol): 357.63
- Total calories for the food and watermelon cocktail (no alcohol): 293.63