Following his diagnosis of a tumor in his throat, Michael Douglas is ready to “Stand Up” to cancer.
The veteran actor will participate in the upcoming “Stand Up 2 Cancer” telethon on September 10, a rep for Douglas confirmed to Access Hollywood.
Douglas is the latest of many stars to join the event. As previously reported on AccessHollywood.com, George Clooney, Will Smith and Gwyneth Paltrow announced earlier this week they would also be participating in the telethon, which will air nationwide on TV’s major networks.
Douglas’ rep said the “Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps” star will participate from New York. He is unable to travel while undergoing cancer treatment. He revealed his cancer diagnosis in early August after doctors found a tumor in his throat.
At the time, Douglas’ rep said the star had begun his chemotherapy and radiation treatments and would be undergoing such treatment for eight weeks.
On Tuesday, Douglas paid a visit to “The Late Show with David Letterman,” where he said he was optimistic about his chances for a recovery.
“The percentages are very good. I would hate to say, but right now, it looks like it should be 80 percent, and with certain hospitals and everything, it does improve,” Douglas told Letterman.
Other stars previously announced to participate include Lance Armstrong, Denzel Washington, Renee Zellweger, as well as performances by Queen Latifah, Stevie Wonder, Lady Antebellum and Green Day’s Billie Joe Armstrong, plus many more.
This year’s telethon comes on the heels of the success of the 2008 event, which helped raise more than $100 million for cancer research.
“Stand Up 2 Cancer” will air commercial-free from 8 PM – 9 PM EDT on September 10 on NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX, as well as various cable channels.
Copyright 2014 by NBC Universal, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.